case feeding problem on .22-250

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by clemens, Nov 8, 2012.

1. clemens

clemens Well-Known Member

This last June when shooting my savage mod 12 .22-250 noticed some thing that seemed odd to me. seemed like the action was longer then it should be for a factory rifle, Did savage make some short action little longer, and what would the inside measurements be for a true SA from savage? Also when cycling bolt the round would sometime pop up and out of action or the tip of bullet would touch feed ramp and stop. Had to push round bac k and try again it would work or pop out of internal mag any Ideas, Factory ammo was used. REM 45grhp rifle

2. KennyA12

KennyA12 Member

I can't say as to action length, but the feeding I believe you need to have the feed ramp polished. I had this problem and had a smith polish ramp, and no more probs.

3. KRP

KRP Well-Known Member

Savage used to only build long actions, some they built with a short magazine though. Then they built some shorter actions, but not as short as the current ones. Make sure the follower isn't binding and the spring is in good condition, then tweak the feed lips on the mag box. Bullets with a big HP can be finicky when it comes to feeding.

4. clemens

clemens Well-Known Member

thanks guy. forgot to mention it has the accu trigger so its not a eal old model. Dont know if this makes a difference or not

5. Joe King

Joe King Well-Known Member

that explains my 22-250, its a savage long action, i suspect it was made back then