carying large magnum ammo in the field

robbor

Im looking for a container to carry 300 rum ammo in the field, for when I want to glass all day and take some shots. What do you guys carry your ammo in? Im like to find as compact as possible 20 round case that really protects the bullets.

I agree, MTM cases are good to use.
1kstr

Last edited:
I have a MTM slip top box that holds 20 rnds of 7STW (loaded long). It holds them in 2 rows of 10. I also have a MTM box that holds 20 rnds of 300RUM. This box holds 3 rows of 7, minus 1 where the clip is. I believe that they were bought from Midsouthshooterssupply.com

What I can not seem to find is an Ammo Wallet that will hold 7-10 rnds of 7STW (loaded with long A-Max bullets) or 300RUM ammo. Wallets seem to be available for everything smaller and the really big stuff like 460Wby, 416Rigby and other fat-so's.

I have two different brands of wallets. I do not know who makes one of them but it holds 6 rounds of 7 AM (338 Lapua size) and is hard sided and protects the bullets well. The other is from bass Pro and holds 10 rounds but is softsided and does not protect the bullets as well. Both are very quiet and don't rattle. Achieving low runout only to lose it during hunting is stupid.

Go to Bass Pro and run search on : RedHead® Cartridge Pouches.

I have a few Blackhawk 20 round ammo carriers that work fine for my 6.5-300 Weatherby ammo. They are shown as being for .308, but they have adjustable closures that allow them to carry the longer cartridges. I find them to be enough protection for hunting, without the bulk and noise of a 20 round MTM box. The "speed clip" version will go on a belt.

BLACKHAWK ! Folding .308 Ammo Pouch

37CL72_1.JPG

I used the MTM ammo wallets, but the best thing I have found to use is a choke tube box with 2 separators allowing 3 cartridges. I can carry 2 or 3 of those and I not have a big weight in one place. They are black backed and semi clear covered. I just added a little more foam that was like what was already in there and it is great.

If I would need more than even 1 of the 3 shells my .30-378s hold, I would be having a bad day and would go home anyway.

Try carrying 338Allen Magnum ammo, now THAT is a challenge. I finally found something to use, a choke tube pouch RedHead Shooting Bags - Choke Tube Case that I made a styrofoam bottom for (to protect the lower half of the shell).

Talk about funny, carrying 6 rounds of ammo on my belt in a carrier made to hold long 12ga choke tubes.

I use MTM shellholders and cartridge pouches like this RedHead Cartridge Pouch for my 'normal' size cartridges.

AJ

Full magazine with 1 extra round in the pocket, if I can't hit it with 4 rounds, I need to get outa the mountains!! If being attacked by a herd of something big and mean that needs more ammo, drop the gun and run like hell!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.