carry rifle scope

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by tired, Mar 15, 2007.

1. tired

tired Active Member

needs= 4.5-14,3-12 lightweight bdc recticle illuminated good glass something to take some abuse(atvs pickups recoil)bouncing around out west. I have a budget of around $800. Also need a good set of rings and bases to go with this. Im looking at a 6 3/4 pound 7mm rem mag no brake

2. lovdasnow

lovdasnow Well-Known Member

i was going to say, just get a leupold vx-III in the 4.5-14, I have a couple of them and love them.
    but, why do you want illuminated reticle? I bought a leupold mk4 with the illuminated reticle, and it never gets used. even at night(legal predator hunting) you don't need it. but thats my opinion, maybe you do need it?

just a thought, leaving that off would save you weight and money.

I guess I would lean toward the leupold vx-III 3.5-10, or the 4.5-14. and sorry, I don't have any recommendations for "light" rings. I use bulky stuff, like badgers and GG&G.
    i have heard some good stuff about the burris rings with inserts. check those out.

hope that helps a little...

3. tired

tired Active Member

I have a hard time seeing my crosshairs in lower light(anything less than sunny)overcast day in the woods 1/2 hour before dark

4. philny1

philny1 Well-Known Member

A Leu Heavy Duplex, may be the answer.

5. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a hard time seeing my crosshairs in lower light(anything less than sunny)overcast day in the woods 1/2 hour before dark

[/ QUOTE ]

What scope are you using now? I've found it easier to see crosshairs on brighter scopes. Maybe the answer is a larger objective?

Don

6. älg

älg Well-Known Member

Base and rings.- contact Heatseekins.- great lightweigh products.

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I'm 67 and have a Nikon Monarch 4-12 BDC on a .257 Wby Ultralight. Chose that scope over the VX III because it seemed brighter to me. Have no problem seeing the reticle in dim conditions.

8. tjbill

tjbill Well-Known Member

I just put together two Kimber Montanas in 300WSM for my brother and myself. Both have Leupold 4.5 - 14 40mm mine with Boone and Crocket and his with duplex. If you are looking for a brighter reticle, go with the duplex as it is gold in color and shows very well in low light. I don't believe you can get wide duplex in 40mm. I agree that you don't need the illuminated reticle and on a carry rifle, simple is better IMHO. I used the one piece Talley rings on both and love the solid, simple mount. They also only weigh 2.2 oz. Good luck.
    Bill