Cardio Workouts?

barnesuser28

What are some cardio workouts you guys do to get/keep I shape for hunting season? I am thinking of getting up every morning and running a mile then rideing my bike for about 2.5 miles. Will this be enough? Where we are elk hunting this year is around 9000 feet and I live at about 2800.

What are some cardio workouts you guys do to get/keep I shape for hunting season? I am thinking of getting up every morning and running a mile then rideing my bike for about 2.5 miles. Will this be enough? Where we are elk hunting this year is around 9000 feet and I live at about 2800.

First take into account your current physical condition. Then start slow, a mile won't seam very far till two days later. I would suggest ruck marching 3 days a week and training with weights two days a week. This is the most realistic use of your time, don't neglect your feet.

Appreciate this for what it is....

and the humor....

No elk here, mulies in November in NM. I live about 600 feet above sea level where it's basically flat, farmland. I'm in my 60's. I'm not sedentary by any means, I'm a farmer, I grow a large garden and I work part time for a transportation company, I'm in safety and compliance so I'm on my feet, walking, climbing in trucks, agitating drivers.....

I also have my own business which operates out of a building on the farm so I'm very active, all the time.

I figured getting in condition for NM and the altitude would be best achieved by co-mingling my exercise regimen with my coon hound mix. She's gotten sedentary, sedentary to the point of 109 pounds, fueled by table scraps and everything else she can get her muzzle on. She's a wonderful dog and a great companion and I'm a sucker for a sad face so she begs and she gets, until about 2 months ago.

I figured co-mingling would be just the thing for her and company for me. She's had undercarriage issues like no ground clearance because her stuff is hanging too low and the vet is worried she is going to have heart and hip problems so she goes with me, every afternoon, rain or shine.

We are way out in the country, I mean WAY out, so it's dirt roads, plowed (no tilled) fields, ditch banks, and wood lots, she's right with me, every mile. It's been hot and humid and she pants terribly so I stop along the way (in the shade) so she can rest and I carry water for her.

She looks forward anxiously everyday for our adventures and so do I.

Problem is, I feel good and I feel I'm getting prepared for NM in November but I took her to the vet to get weighed and she's lost ONE POUND IN 2 MONTHS.

A least the 'ground clearance' issue has improved.

She's sitting under my feet right now BTW.

Your 'cardio' workout reminded me.......:)

If Riley is really 13 like his tag line is showing, he probably won't need to do much more than what he's thinking about doing, but he should get started quickly as hunting season isn't that far away. 2 1/2 miles on a bike really isn't very far and I would up it to 5 miles after a week or two to get built up a little.

Every year I'm in worse shape and the mule does most of the work but the best thing I've ever found for cardio is climbing. Seriously. Put your hunting boots on and go straight up a mountain or hill or whatever's around. Stay off trail and go straight up. Lift those knees high. Increase speed as your strength and wind increases. Walk downhill slowly resisting your weight. Avoid lunging steps going down. You'll probably do more for your strength by resisting your own weight downhill than speeding uphill. Up for wind, down slowly for strength.

Well, I suspect strongly that if I was on an elk hunting junket, my *** would be on an *** as well.........:)

You see, besides my overweight dog, I don't have all my parts anymore. I lost some non-essential organs a few years back. Not that I miss them because I really don't. It's the cut job that gives me grief. In the doctors words, "It's as good as it's going to get. Be happy you are alive.

Life is a compromise.

Can I hunt Elk in my Caddilac?:D

I really dont have anywhere to climb/hike as i live in ND so it is pretty flat. Thanks for all the tips. I am most likely going to up it to 4 or 5 miles of bike riding a day and i will start doing some weight training.

I started my boy at 5 hiking the mountains,he is Montana tough now.He can go anywhere he wants.He wrestles and plays football.Off time, ski,horn hunt,bike and fish high mountain lakes.For us it is a life style.I would do a exercise machine like a stair climber,or run bleachers.I was on or cross country team and we ran up or local ski mountain. I am scoutin now for season.In this pict. my boy was 14-15 and we hiked in miles below and up 2-3000 verticle.This is just what it is where I hunt, Im still doing it,just slower:)

Attachments

• WP MF.jpg
    WP MF.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 70
I'm with Sidecar on this one. I'm on the tail end of my 60s.

I don't miss the missing body parts either. However, those two rib long scars are a pain in the gut. The slow healing kidney grabs me once in awhile too. Was tussling with the grand kids, little girls, and got nailed. Ouch!!

Putin' yur *** on an *** isn't pain free either. Need to sneak up on that one. Wear panty hose. :)

The 13 year old will have no problem at all. It used to take me, even after decent prep, about 3 days into the elk hunt in the big mtns to reach the point where I could walk where I wished without being winded. Youth is resilient. Too bad its wasted on the young.:)

I have no dog :rolleyes: but recently acquired 2 future pack goats:rolleyes::rolleyes:. These guys are way better than any other animal I've had. Great company, no problems and will be carrying the load next year.

Long hikes in the very sandy 'behind the house' area in 90* heat is exhausting.

This week we start scouting in the mountains supplemented by the tread mill which is boring as all get out.

Roy...

As another member of the zipper club, I can say it's not fun but better to be on this side of the ground than the other.

All the trials and tribulations we have to endure when all we have to do is go to the supermarket's meat counter......

.....but it's the 'fun of it'......:)

I've learned (through experience) not to get my torso in that 'certain' position. Must be the twinge that reminds me. At least 'that' position has nothing in common with shooting.

Youth is wasted on the young. I'd sure like to go back in time 30 years or more for some things but for others, I don't want to do them again.......

One trip is more than enough.

However, if I had my choice from the beginning, I'd have been born a girl.:)

Riley,

At your age, both my sons (now 23 and 20) were competitive swimmers (short and long course) and swims all year around. Their dry land training involved weights, pilates, and yoga. Occasionally, they'll do a mini-triathlon too. So conditioning was not an issue when they were hunting with me ... I on the other was a different story. I was slowing them down, so I changed my diet and exercise in 2003. Lost 15 pounds, gained/toned muscle, got stronger too, lost 4 inches off my waist ... and maintaining it.

I don't go crazy on my cardio ... I simply do a 12 % grade/incline (simulating a climb) on a treadmill for 30-45 minutes 4 times a week for 3 MPH. I used to do the stair-stepper too but my knees don't like it.

The key is to do it at your aerobic zone and all year around. Along with my cardio, I also do about 30 minutes of weights (not for muscle mass but for strength and toning) for upper and lower body, back, and abs.

With little I do, my aging body performs rather well on and around the Montana mountains and wilderness.

Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:
I dont know your size,but weights are great also. I looked at 1/4's from a friends bull in -11 that where 140# and 120#.That is on the large side but I have had 100 + 1/4'S many times and it takes some strength to get them out.Friends help and you can bone the tough ones.Squats and cleans are good strength builders.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.