Carbon Wrapped Barrels

Spanners

Are they worth the hassle?

The weight savings are definately attractive but I have heard some horror stories of the lack of accuracy.. 3lbs or close to it savings on a Sendero contour is a nice thought!

Are there different qualities etc, and if so, who is the go to for them?

Anyones experiences?

The ABS Carbon wrapped barrels are very very good at dissipating the heat. Goodgrooper proved that with a Thermal imaging camera. The ABS barrels are not as light as the Christensen barrels because the ABS barrels are not turned down as thin before wrapping and can be bored out to the next caliber size up when you have shot the barrel out.

There are Carbon fibers and there are Carbon fibers some will dissipate heat well and others will hold it in.

I have 4 ABS barrels and they are very accurate. They ABS barrels start out with a barrel blank from Rock Creek that is turned to ABS specs for the wrapping process by Rock Creek

Reason I ask is I have a 300 RUM Sendero SFII and it has had 130rds down the tube and shoots average.
1.5" is about as good as I can get at the mo with Retumbo.. tried 200 SMK, 200AB and 208 A-Max.
Thinking on trying some H1000 then throwing the barrel away/

Would be nice to get it down to 10-11lbs with the Nightforce on it.. infact - would be IDEAL!

Don't want to blow 3/4 the price of the rifle trying to achieve the accuracy with the weight loss, where I could spend alot less just on a rebarrel and put up with the weight.

No point in having something that is light and won't shoot, and almost the same the other way.

If I were going to drop the coin on another ABS barrel, I would think twice before chambering it in 300 RUM.

I can say this because I am in that situation and the throat and bore does not look good after 430 rounds. In less than 65 dramatic changes started to happen.

Guys are doing great with the 300 WSM in ABS barrels. But I would be very skeptical about building a barrel burner on one.

In ABS's AND rock's defense, they have offered to examine the barrel for hardness issues and other defects. If it is problematic, they will replace it. It is in ABS's hands as we speak. I will post the results when I hear from him.

FWIW, when the barrel was fresh it was awesome. So I know they have potential. Velocity was top notch and the accuracy was better than expected, It ballanced nicely as well. The rifle weighed less than 12# with a NF on top. The barrel was also of a larger contour than the Sendero.

i have watched your posts with interest.
This is my LR hunting carry rifle.. I have other rifles for heavy usage.
If something shoots ok, then it only gets a couple of sighters and a the rest are on animals.
400 rds could be a 10 years worth of use.

I shoot alot of 308 for F-TR and have a 270 for light carry, however I need to sort this RUM for long range.

I am building a 300 RUM as we speak with a 8 twist barrel to shoot the 265 grain Wildcat bullet on an ABS barrel. My 338 Lapua also has an ABS barrl and while it is not a 300 RUM the throat is holding very well.

I am interested to hear the details and what ABS decides about your barrel

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts