Carbon on case head

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by reeldawg, May 3, 2013.

1. reeldawg

reeldawg Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me what caused this? My father-in-law was shooting his 270 win with factory ammo. I noticed this on some of the cases, it appears to be coming from under the primer.

Thanks

Jay

Attached Files:

2. Kiwi Greg

Kiwi Greg Well-Known Member

It is a pierced primer.

Do a search on Winchester primer failures, that has been happening a bit over the last year or two

I thought it was just with Winchester primers in reloads, but yours is a factory Remington.....

Take it back to where you got it from, it will probably start to mark the bolt face if you keep shooting it, as well as crap floating around towards you is not a good look.

3. MTBULLET

MTBULLET Well-Known Member

check the code # on the ammo. the pic appears to R-P ammo, and remington had a recall awhile back on certain lot #'s of .270 !

4. JeffP40

JeffP40 Well-Known Member

This is gas leaking around the primer. Not good. it will cut the bolt face eventually. The ammo is bad, needs to be returned.

5. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a muzzleloader and the same thing happens after a while, it erodes the breech face.