Canyon mule deer... my first mulie

4th_point

Thought I'd share my experience hunting the canyons and breaks near the Snake. I was expecting and prepared to shoot 400+ yards, but this 4x4 typical gave me a shot at 50 yards so I took it. Nice buck with 11pts total, 20". Not a huge one, but I'm still happy with him. :)

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics. I forgot my camera that day! You can see how steep the hillside was where I got him. Luckily it wasn't too far to pack the meat.

Jason

Last edited:
Re: Canyone mule deer... my first mulie

Congratulations! Nice buck. I really like the antler color!

Great buck... can't wait to go on my first Mulie hunt next year (I hope!)

What rifle were you toting around and what does it weigh?

Thanks guys. :)

I used a blued Tikka T3 in 300 Win Mag. I got it as a budget rifle for "medium ranges", or 600+/- yards on game (longer on targets). With an EGW 20moa rail, Warne rings, Bushnell 6-24x50 tactical, ACI, USO level, and Karsten cheekpiece the total weight without sling is 9 pounds. Its definitely more that I would want for a dedicated mountain/canyon rifle if doing a lot of hiking, but it seems manageable. Its my only big game rifle and plays double duty as my practice rifle too.

I think I could reduce the weight by 1/2 pound with a different scope and aluminum rings, but the scope on it right now is "only" 22 ounces. Most scopes with turrets in the 14x to 16x range are 17-20 ounces, so I don't think I can get much lower in weight without going to a 7x or 9x on the top end. The Warne rings are steel so there would be some weight savings there.

I'd like to get another rifle and keep it simple... T3 with 2-7x32, or 3-9x40. Should be able to keep it under 7.5 pounds.

Oh, load was 200gr Accubond with Hodgdon's max load of Retumbo at SAAMI OAL. Shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts