CAnt get Savage slug gun to group good?

WEATHERBY460

I have a new 220 and the best groups are about 3.5" but typically 4" - 5" at 100 yards. I would think it should do 2" or less. I have tried 5 scopes including leupold and a nightforce....its not the scope.

I have used the 2 3/4" accutips, 2 3/4" sst's, 3" winchester dual bonds, 3" rotteweil laser slugs, and 3" lightfields.

I boresnake after every 2nd or third shot.......and i have even let the barrel cool completely down.

I am using a caldwell lead sled.

What am I doing wrong? Am I holding it wrong? Please help...i have spent alot of cash on ammo. Thanks

Mine does not care for the 2 3/4 accutips or the hornady SST's. It does seem to like the 3 inch accutips pretty good.....You might also try shooting it 'dirty' and see what that does......go maybe 5 or 10 shot before 'cleaning'.

what should i expect for group size...and should i not clean between shots???? I also leave the barrel cool down between shots...whats my problem.

Generally speaking, the 2.75" slugs tend to be more accurate in most guns so I'd continue my ammo search there.

The lead sled "can" be a problem with consistency in that it inhibits normal recoil. I would use regular bags and see how that works.

I would also let another experienced shooter try a few rounds from your gun. It's very easy to develop a flinch without realizing it, especially with heavy slug loads.

Finding the most accurate slug for your rifle can be expensive but I'm sure you'll get there. The Federal Barnes X slugs proved to be the most accurate slug in my Rem 11-87. It was the last slug that I tried. Go figure. :rolleyes:

I would pickup a box of the 3 inch accu tips and maybe a box of the Barnes as well and try them, and I would not clean after every shot....

try barnes tipped expanders . savage factory stock was my biggest problem . forend flex to much putting pressure on barrel

I have an hr but it to liked 3 inch accutips better the 2/3. Also did not like to be cleaned. Go at least ten shots. Sounds crazy but mine sucked the groups right down to nothing.

From many years of slug hunting (all that was legal in Indiana for all my life till last year or so) I have found that more often than not slug guns well shoot the cheap rem. and win. slugs the best.;-)

Also I have had many slug guns that would not shoot sabots at all. So I would pick up some rem sluggers,fed. power shok, win super-x, and brenneke K.O..

And the best thing is you can try all four of these the price of two boxes of any of the others ;-)

something else you might try get a anticant level for about 23 dollars you might be tipping the gun to the side just enough to spread your group out. some times if you set up a target that has cross lines crooked you may be lining up on the lines with the crosshairs and tipping the gun. Heres a link for a anticant level on midway,
B-Square Bubble Bore Level Weaver-Style

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.