CAnt get Savage slug gun to group good?

Discussion in 'Long Range Shotgun Slug Hunting' started by WEATHERBY460, Jul 30, 2012.

1. WEATHERBY460

WEATHERBY460 Well-Known Member

I have a new 220 and the best groups are about 3.5" but typically 4" - 5" at 100 yards. I would think it should do 2" or less. I have tried 5 scopes including leupold and a nightforce....its not the scope.

I have used the 2 3/4" accutips, 2 3/4" sst's, 3" winchester dual bonds, 3" rotteweil laser slugs, and 3" lightfields.

I boresnake after every 2nd or third shot.......and i have even let the barrel cool completely down.

I am using a caldwell lead sled.

What am I doing wrong? Am I holding it wrong? Please help...i have spent alot of cash on ammo. Thanks

2. bryguy

bryguy Active Member

Mine does not care for the 2 3/4 accutips or the hornady SST's. It does seem to like the 3 inch accutips pretty good.....You might also try shooting it 'dirty' and see what that does......go maybe 5 or 10 shot before 'cleaning'.

3. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

17 years now never cleaned the barrel on my rifled slug gun you just dont need to.m also how fast are u shooting? Ie 3 rounds in a min?

4. WEATHERBY460

what should i expect for group size...and should i not clean between shots???? I also leave the barrel cool down between shots...whats my problem.

5. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, the 2.75" slugs tend to be more accurate in most guns so I'd continue my ammo search there.

The lead sled "can" be a problem with consistency in that it inhibits normal recoil. I would use regular bags and see how that works.

I would also let another experienced shooter try a few rounds from your gun. It's very easy to develop a flinch without realizing it, especially with heavy slug loads.

Finding the most accurate slug for your rifle can be expensive but I'm sure you'll get there. The Federal Barnes X slugs proved to be the most accurate slug in my Rem 11-87. It was the last slug that I tried. Go figure. :rolleyes:

6. WEATHERBY460

not a flich issue......refer to my log in name

7. bryguy

bryguy Active Member

I would pickup a box of the 3 inch accu tips and maybe a box of the Barnes as well and try them, and I would not clean after every shot....

8. cholla chomper

cholla chomper Well-Known Member

try going to a slower slug and see if it improves

9. can1010

can1010 Well-Known Member

try barnes tipped expanders . savage factory stock was my biggest problem . forend flex to much putting pressure on barrel

10. WEATHERBY460

Any other ideas?

11. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Yes ditch the led sled I don't know how I missed that before, its not helping you at all! Its a solution to a no existent problem wrapped in clever marketing.

12. snox801

snox801 Well-Known Member

I have an hr but it to liked 3 inch accutips better the 2/3. Also did not like to be cleaned. Go at least ten shots. Sounds crazy but mine sucked the groups right down to nothing.

13. submoa

submoa Well-Known Member

From many years of slug hunting (all that was legal in Indiana for all my life till last year or so) I have found that more often than not slug guns well shoot the cheap rem. and win. slugs the best.;-)

Also I have had many slug guns that would not shoot sabots at all. So I would pick up some rem sluggers,fed. power shok, win super-x, and brenneke K.O..

And the best thing is you can try all four of these the price of two boxes of any of the others ;-)

14. cholla chomper

cholla chomper Well-Known Member

something else you might try get a anticant level for about 23 dollars you might be tipping the gun to the side just enough to spread your group out. some times if you set up a target that has cross lines crooked you may be lining up on the lines with the crosshairs and tipping the gun. Heres a link for a anticant level on midway,
    B-Square Bubble Bore Level Weaver-Style