Candian Moose Hunt

Eaglet, If you saw wolfs, there was no elk. It has ruined 2 of our best elk hunting areas. I can honest say I HATE those protected varmint. What you should of done was the 3 s's known in Idaho, Shoot Shovel and Shutup. Preacher.

IDAHO PREACHER,
I like the three s's. Sure enough, the hunt was ruined.

Lerch,
your neck warmer es very unique. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Whatever works my friend!

CoyBoy, if I didn't know better I'd say I hunted with that exact same MB outfitter. Only difference is I've been up there twice with two different outfitters. One on the Ducks and the other at the edge of the Riding Mts. Both hunts sucked I had 6 days on the one hunt and 5 on the other. I have yet to see a shooter bear in MB. It's likely I never will as I have no plans to go back and strike out a third time. Saskatchewan has been much better to me.

Well the gloves come off now.

I am re-opening this post know because of a phone conversation my dad had with our guide last night.

Big Sky you want his name?? it is Ken Baker.

Over the last few weeks we have had a countless number of people come in my families shop and ask us how the hunt went. All of them are apalled when they hear that we didn't see a single animal. All of them also think that there should be some kind of a refund.

In the past I have been hesitant to talk bad on this guide because I really thought he did his all. Since I have been back I am getting more and more upset about this deal.

Dad talked to the guide last night hoping he could get some form of a refund. The guide immediatly told him that since we left 2 days early it was our own fault. Now I know that we would have been ahead to stay the entire time but after 7 and a half days of seeing nothing larger than a raven in one of the most sought after hunting locations on earth we were all more that frustrated.
Dad asked him why he wasn't concerned about the large fire that had occured within a mile of our hunting area only 3-4 weeks before. He said that he thought this would move more animals into our area. Now common sense would tell me that animals wouldn't stay in an area where a large amount of their food source has been recently BBQ with 4 feet of snow only a month or so away.

He told my dad that he did not hunt good because he did not go hunting 2 mornings. Now my dad is 50 years old, doesn't hunt, and just donated this *** 20,000 dollars for a 7 day camping trip. Also, my dad was not that interested in killing a moose himself, primarily he wanted me and my brother in law to kill them and he just wanted to go on a hunt with us before he got to old.
He then told my dad that the week after we left he flew back in to a lake just south of us and killed a large bull himself. Well congratulations!!! The only problem with this is that he told us that the week after we finished hunting he was going to guide some hunters in ALberta, so either he didn't kill the moose or he is not booked a deeply as he makes out to be. AND BY THE WAY why he didn't move us to the southern lakes where there was no fire and probably better hunting.
After we got back dad received a phone call from a guide service in ALberta offering us a moose mule deer combo hunt for 500 dollars cheaper than the Sask hunt. Dad told the guide about or crappy Sask hunt and told him we hunted with Ken Baker and he said he never heard of him. Dad told him that he called in the #2 Pope and Young record several years ago. Again he had never heard of him.

So there it is, sorry for ****ing and moaning so much but I just really thought this guy would apologize or something for this crap but instead he chose to blame us instead. So there's my rant, take it for what its worth .

Take it easy
Steve

just thought i would ad a good story about a terible "guide" two buddies and myslef booked a quail/coyote and bvobcat hunt in Az a few yrs back with a guide that advertised in a few magazines.when we got there he had a 1987 ford ranger extra cab and expected the four of use to pile in this thing and drive 2 hrs out to his hunting areas,on the phone he had said he had a 4 door 250 and we wouldnt need a rental.so after renting a jeep we went to his "lodge" this place was so bad that a mouse had commited suicide in the toilet and there was a small rain forest in the shower and I think some wild hogs had used the beds for wallow because idont think any human could of left them that nasty with mud and god knows what else.so needless to say we rode to town and found a hotel,i think the guide planned to sleep in his truck.well we gotout and hunted that afternoon and did manage to shoot a few quail and a nice bobcat but i really think we were on property that he had no idea who owned it.well we decide to go out for a drink so the guide takes use to a bar that was a bit shady and had one of those back rooms where i think anything goes.shortly after we got there the guide dissapers and about a hr later a realy large mexican guy comes to our table and tells us our friend (the guide) needs us in the back room so we go to check it out and find out he has run up a 600$ tab in lap dances and has no money to pay, now at this point I was ready to leave him but we had to clue how to get back to the hotel so we payed for his bill and went back to the hotel.next day we tell him we are going to just deduct the 600 from what we owed him,he argues and promises to send a check we he gets home as he doesnt have the checkbook with him.we tell him no way and he gets ****ed and jumps in his truck and takes off with my bobcat pelt and never comes back.we stayed and found some public land and did ok after he left but i tell you I wont book another hunt with any guide without knowing someone that has hunted with them before.I know you spent way more $ for your trip than me but we still got screwed.

Jared

lerch
Sorry to hear about your moose hunt. If a large fire had gone through the area only a couple of weeks before your hunt then you can gaurntee that every animal high tailed it out of the area. There should be awsome moose hunting their in a couple of years-(little consulation to you). My brother in law is a CO in Sask. He never heard of your guide which is usually a good sign as that means that they have never had complaints or had to investigate him. Next time try Alberta, BC or the Yukon for moose hunts as they are considered much better than Sask.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.