Canadians where do you get your barrels?

Order a barrel and have it shipped to me here in Utah. I'll turn around and ship it to you in Canada. It's just a piece of metal right?

Get on Canadiangunnutz' forum. Look for Mysticplayer. He imports barrels and everything else you need. He is on this forum from time to time too.

Pacnor also imports to Canada if you wanna avoid the middle man.

Order a barrel and have it shipped to me here in Utah. I'll turn around and ship it to you in Canada. It's just a piece of metal right?

They're often shipped as "stainless pipe". :D

Ted Gaillard in Sask is a barrel maker. I've got one of his barrels on my 280AI. I don't have his contact info handy, but a quick search on CanadianGunnutz would probably find it for you.

You would be breaking US laws. Barrels are controlled and require an export permit from BATFE plus an import certificate from DFAIT.

You have Rob MacClellan in Wyevale, Ontario, Ted Gaillard in Saskatchewan, Rob Smith in BC. These are barrel makers.

You have ATR, et al importing barrels.

riflebarrels.ca

Ian is great he is Canada's source for krieger and he also has mcphee .30 cal barrels.

I have my second one on it's way to me know.

Make sure you look at the price difference between all the suggestions.

Properly importing an American made barrel means dealing with a middle man in Canada which means he gets his cut. This may have been alright when the exchange rates were good but with current rates the U.S. barrels are in some cases double the cost of a Canadian made barrel.

I use both U.S. and Canadian made barrels and in my opinion both are excellent. The only issue I've ever had with a custom barrel happened to be a U.S. made one but other barrels from the same maker have been excellent.

Right now, with the current exchange rates and the U.S. export laws your money would be better spent on a Canadian barrel unless you really want a better know U.S. name. However be prepared to pay up to double to get it properly imported.

Be warned though, I've heard dealing with some of the Canadian guys can be interesting to say the least. Remember that most of them do not do a huge volume of sales and are one man operations. I suggest you do your homework and know exactly what you want before calling. If you do that the process should go smoothly. I have had excellent dealings with several of them and highly recommend their barrels, just don't expect them to roll out the red carpet and answer a ton of newbie questions.

Good luck and remember, spending your money wisely on a rifle means more $ for ammo. What good is an expencive rifle if you can't afford to shoot it.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.