Can you go SA caliber in LA action? .270 currently

huntem

I bought my first rifle in the early 90's and have dropped countless 4 legged critters. The rig is Browning A-Bolt camo stalker (laminated green/black stock) chambered for .270. Unfortunately, the groups are starting to open up and I believe a new barrel is in the future.

Now I feel very fortunate that I have several rifles to which cover the caliber spectrum. Now I DON'T have a problem with the 270 and wouldn't hesitate to rebarrel it again in 270. However, I'm at least looking at the other "options".

#1 can I open the bolt face up to handle say 300win mag? For the clip, is it as simple as a 300 win mag clip replacement?

#2 any suggestions in calibers close to the .270 head diameter

#3 really been wanting to build a 7mm-08. I'm more of a Rem700 guy so I don't look at this action as the best donor. Will I have feed troubles going short action caliber with the longer bolt throw?

I'm not looking to build a BR gun and I have other rifles for the really long range shooting. I want the gun to be of average weight that is ultimately as reliable has it has been over the last 18ish years.

Thanks folks!!

Yes you can do a short action caliber on a long action , the US Army's m24 sniper rifle is a 308 built on a rem 700 LA and look at the results they have!!

using a long action actualy gives a benifit of being able to seat realy long high BC bullets way out so you get the most case space for powder. I built a 308 fo shooting the 190gr Bergers on a LA just for that reason.

BUT , my choice would be a 280 Ackley improved , you can beat factory 7mmRem mag velocities with less powder and more mag capacity.
I'm not sure what the use would be but their are alot of options out their for ya.

I'll chime in on this......

The A-bolt will serve you well in another cartridge if you wish.

If you want something just a bit different why not consider the 270AI? With more bullets being developed for that caliber and the fact that it is just a good caliber for your needs.

I your barrel is anything like mine, give it a super good cleaning (copper removal etc) and it will probably go to pot immediately. That is, if you haven't already done that.

What I did was have a 27" Lilja #4 in 270 Win stuck on it and its still truckin' better than ever. Just a bit heavier though..... 140s are going 3200 MV ahead of RL-22 and CCI-200s.

[ QUOTE ]
using a long action actualy gives a benifit of being able to seat realy long high BC bullets way out so you get the most case space for powder.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't thought of that regarding the seating depth. Now you really have me thinking. Might pop a couple long Bergers in the ol' girl.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll chime in on this......

If you want something just a bit different why not consider the 270AI? With more bullets being developed for that caliber and the fact that it is just a good caliber for your needs.

If your barrel is anything like mine, give it a super good cleaning (copper removal etc) and it will probably go to pot immediately. That is, if you haven't already done that.

[/ QUOTE ] I'm not so sure about the AI for the simple reason of availability of ammo if my luggage would be lost by an airline while traveling on a hunt. I figure if I stay will a tried & true caliber, I may have luck finding ammo in a pinch. Certainly not a huge concern but one of those little situations that is worth mentioning. Besides if they loose me luggage, I've got bigger problems.

In regards to the cleaning, it did have a negative accuracy effect. Don't get me wrong, it still shoots very well. A lot better than most of the weekend warrior hunters that shoot minute-of-deer. It is still around 1 1/2moa compared to the sub 1/2moa it once shot all day long. Yeah I got luck with a factory rifle that shot that well. 130gr BT packed with ol' brown 4350...OOOOO yyyyeeeaaaahhh

With a chamber that has been cut to the true Ackley specs you can still use factory ammo in a pinch and most of the time it will shoot accuratly , I've done a few Ackleys and they all shot well with factory ammo , some shot as well as the hand loads !! Again with a PROPERLY chambered gun its completly safe to shoot factory ammo.
Roy is right a 270 Ackley with some 169gr Wildcats would a flat shooting rig

[ QUOTE ]
availability of ammo if my luggage would be lost by an airline while traveling on a hunt

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that the ammo rides with the fire stick, I'd say loosing the ammo would be insignificant. If you want off the shelf ammo, why not convert to a 270 WSM? (Not sure if that would work).

[ QUOTE ]
using a long action actually gives a benefit of being able to seat really long high BC bullets way out so you get the most case space for powder.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's only an advantage if you want to chamber <font color="purple"> identical OAL </font> rounds from magazine.

Good question, great answers. A 270 AI on a Rem 700 LA sounds interesting.

Hi what about getting some of the new Hornady 375Hornady brass and neck it to 7mm or 270 it has the same rim as the 270 so that will be fine but it has a base diameter at around .529 i believe and is the same case length as the 30-06. You could have one of the first wildcats on the new case. You could also look at necking it to 30 or 338 it would give you the equivelent or all the above diameter projectiles based on a 300 Win Mag case.

What a chance to be right at the start of wildcating that new case. Just choose the projectile diameter if you go for 270 get a twist to stabalise the 195gr Wildcat and if you go with the 7mm get a 8 twist 7mm so the 200gr Wildcats stabalise and you wil also be able to use any other 7mm projectile in it aswell.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.