Can someone look at these pics and tell me what base/rings I need?

Troutslayer2

IMGP2439.jpg

IMGP2438.jpg

I am wanting to mount a Leupold MK4 LR/T 30mm, on this rifle. I do like the ring height that it has now, but wouldn't mind it a little lower. The rings on it are 1", so they have to go no matter what. I was thinking about getting something better anyway. Just don't want to order the wrong height. Advice for the mathematically challenged?

If your are going to order a picatinny type base and some rings I would get the lows. They will be about .885" from the top of the base to the center of the scope.

If you are going to use your base, order some Leupold std low rings for a 40mm obj or med for a 50mm obj.

Are the picatinny style better?? Yes. Just depends if you are ready to drop a couple hundred on bases and rings or if you want to spend thirty to get by.

Burris Signature Rings and bases are great. I use them on all my rifles. They come with inserts so that you can cant (tilt) your scope. The inserts are made of plastic, so they generally don't leave any ring marks. Here's a few pics of a my rifle with a Leupold MK4. It is a 30mm tube and 50mm front objective mounted in Burris Signature Rings and bases.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

As to the appropriate height, that would depend on the diameter of your tube and the objective lens of your scope. Call Burris and they will be able to tell you the appropriate height rings.

Scopes - rings by Burris Optics

Should have stated- 50MM objective lens. I am going to go picatinny. Can i still get by with the lows?

I am trying to figure out this. How much height does a picatinny rail add? I am going to go with a Leupold MK4 rail, and MK4 rings. I am trying to figure out if I can get by with medium. I have to order these so if I order wrong I'll be sitting on my hands. So, the Leupold medium rings are .84". The objective lens is 50MM, and half of that is .984". So I am .14" too short. what is the standard height added by the picatinny rail? If the height is more than .14" I should be ok right?

Will my barrel taper also help me out in this situation? I know this stuff has been beaten to death here, but I still need to figure it out.

Thanks.

I am trying to figure out this. How much height does a picatinny rail add? I am going to go with a Leupold MK4 rail, and MK4 rings. I am trying to figure out if I can get by with medium. I have to order these so if I order wrong I'll be sitting on my hands. So, the Leupold medium rings are .84". The objective lens is 50MM, and half of that is .984". So I am .14" too short. what is the standard height added by the picatinny rail? If the height is more than .14" I should be ok right?

Will my barrel taper also help me out in this situation? I know this stuff has been beaten to death here, but I still need to figure it out.

Thanks.

The way to worik-out this situation is order both sets of rings from Optics Planet. They will ship it all for free. Then whichever height works for you, use them. Then return the unused pair (shipping a set of rings would be inexpensive).

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.