Can of Worms

I love my 300rum, but if you are new to long range shooting, by the time you are at a skill level that allows you to take game at the range that cartridge is capable of, your barrel will be shot out. I would recommend a 300wsm. Better barrel life and it will give you 85% of the velocity that the rum will with 30% less powder, I know this for a fact, I own both. And as far as scope selection, Nightforce is a big hit around here, but on your budget i would cut right to the chase and go with a Premiere or Vortex RazorHD.

Heres what I built as a elk hunter. 338 Norma for packing in the high country. I live next to MT wilderness areas. 26 '' braked ABS Saturn,Defiance, one pcs. fluted bolt w/ alum knurled knob, Lonewolf summitt, topped w/ Mark 4 6-20x50 mil/mil,on built inrail w/8x40 screws,Falcon coated with mil spec green. When shooting it rides on a Atlas bipod, w/ quick release attached to built in rail. ACI and level, w/safari sling, dressed to kill as above-9-12 oz. [ bare rifle 7-2 oz.]gun)This is below your budget

I was in your situation just a few months ago and I decided I didn't want to wait a year to get a good rifle so I went with one of Len's 338 Edge rifles and I couldn't be happier. It is the best shooting and easiest to load for rifle I own. It shoots dime sized groups @ 100yd and tennis ball size 6 shot @ 450. I am also happy with the 338 Edge caliber too. The 338s have high BC and lots of punch so don't rule them out.

Make sure you don't short yourself on optics. I went with a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25 with the TMR and like it really well but if I were going to buy another scope I would have to look at Nightforce really hard. Get high quality rings and bases too because the best scope is useless if it doesn't stay put.

Save some money for your reloading equipment and components because handloading is a must.

Harris bipods are great for the money. Also, think about investing in some tools like a good windmeter, ballistics software, rangefinder, and some good steel targets.

Think everything through, don't rush, and your budget can easily get you everything you need.

Last edited:
Ballistically, I like the big 338s with the Norma at the top of the list. In fact, sp6x6 has an almost perfect recipe. Only thing I'd change is the scope as I'm not a huge fan of leopold, it's a nice scope, I'd just rather something different although the Leupy may be the best for weight savings. Around $2k for the Vortex Razor would do me just fine. That's what I'd do with your budget. I don't feel the scope is where the money should be spent so I'd pick the Razor vs. the US Optics or Premiers or whatever, and I'm a fan of FFP, so for the price, the Razor gets my vote.

Keep in mind binos and range finder though. If you can't find the critter, the best gun in the world is useless. Good binos are where the money should be spent.

Must have, IMHO:
Swarovski 15x56 binos + tripod
Swaro or Leica LRF
Kestrel
I pod touch

Not as necessary:
High quality less power binos like Nikon or your choice of 8x or 10x42s. I feel they're necessary, but they don't have to be top tier...

Pg 1or 2 of the ''GUn FOR SALE " Has a 338 rum, defiance, spiral fluted krieger, timney, breaked, coated. McMillan stock, like new, maybe just broke in $2800 great looking rifle. Ps. Good- I chose the mark 4 specific for weight at 22 oz. If no budget Id go March 3-24 ffp @ 22 oz also

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.