Can I trim cases with my drill press?

Troutslayer2

Is there something I can chuck into my drill press that will allow me to trim my cases and make them close to uniform in length? If there isn't can someone recommend the best bang for my buck case trimmer?

I'm sure you can chuck a cutting head, the question is whether or not it will do the job you want it to. I would recomend an RCBS case trimer and save the hassle.

Forster makes this device. It requires one of their collets. Each collet will do 3 different case sizes. For example, the #1 collet will do 223, 30-06, and one other larger case. Accessory and collet retail for about $100. If you are interested I might consider selling mine.

ForsterPowerCaseTrimmerforDrillPres.jpg

Perhaps the quickest way to trim brass on a drill press is to chuck the Lee cutter/gauge in the drill press, and move the table so that the gauge pin does not fall into a hole, but stops on the table. Then just hold the deprimed brass down on the table with a leather glove, and lower the spinning cutter/gauge into it. No fumbling with case holders or anything else.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.