Can I get to 1k w/o canted base?

Crowe284

I am looking at topping a new custom 7mm rem mag build with a FFP Vortex Viper PST 6-24x5 with EBR-1 reticle (mil). I will keep zero at 100 yds. The vortex website states that the scope has 19 total mils of elevation travel....but obviously not all of it is up.

I'm running a 168 gr VLD @ 3019 and need 6.8 mils of up to get to 1K according to ballistic ae. I want to save as much weight as possible and use talley lightweights lapped in on all my rigs. I would prefer to use the same set up here but I don't know if after zeroing at 100 if I will have enough up left to get to 1K. I don't want to dial and then hold the rest or hold anything but wind. I like the 100 yd zero because I no matter where I go to hunt, the 100 yd zero is not effected by altitude and temp....and I use a G7 BR2 gen 2 range finder....so it just makes it easier.

Has anybody used this set up with similar ballistics and scope? Were you able to get to 1K? Want to have a good idea before I buy scope.

Also, I have read on the interweb.....take it for what its worth...That some people have destroyed the viper pst's with magnum calibers with muzzle brakes...This seems counterintuitive to me but they were mentioning something about the recoil pulse being different with a braked rifle. I don't know what to think about that...Any experience??

I have swfa 5-20 HD's on a couple of rigs and love them but they are about 9-10 oz. heavier than the 6-24 pst...another weight saving feature for this particular build.

Any insight would be appreciated....I just don't want to have to mount a rail and rings. I love the dead solid simplicity of the talley lightweights.

Thanks,

Crowe

Theoretically, that rifle should be capable of 3000fps with a 165 grain spitzer. You'd need about 8 mils to be effective at 1000 yards. That puts you very close to the outer limits of the glass where fringe anomalies often adversely affect clear imagery. I'd recommend a 15moa rail as a minimum. Alternativly, a Burris Z Ring setup with inserts. You could get 6+ mils out of that arrangement.
  • FFP Vortex Viper PST 6-24x5

Not sure if they'll work for you but Talley does make the one piece rings and bases with 20 moa of cant already built into them. Midway had them for a Remington 700 action awhile ago but not sure about other actions. I think that is the way I would go, just in case you ever decide to stretch it out farther than 1000. Defensive Edge also sells them. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the replies guys. I had the gun built on a timed and trued savage model 12 target action with the target accutrigger set at 12 oz. So...the talley lightweights with the built in 20 minutes is out...Unless they do make for savage actions but I didn't find anything when I searched.....

I use burris signature zee rings with inserts for just about everything but I had a problem with a 32 oz scope (swfa 5-20 hd) slipping in the rings (I knew because I indexed with a pencil on both side of rings after torqueing to specs with fat wrench). I didn't want to crank them down any tighter so went to my old standby for bigger scopes...talley lightweights lapped in with a little rosin and torqued to specs. Never fails. Might just pass on the pst for this rig and buy a **** nightforce! Its just money right!! Ha! Thanks again.

I use burris signature zee rings with inserts for just about everything but I had a problem with a 32 oz scope (swfa 5-20 hd) slipping in the rings (I knew because I indexed with a pencil on both side of rings after torqueing to specs with fat wrench).

Like you, I too use a lot of Burris rings without any issues. I the same scope you're referring to on my Savage 11 FCNS with ~200 rounds (60 of which un-braked), mot of which pushing the 215 Berger at 2750 FPS without any slippage problem whatsoever.

SWFA%205-25x50%20SS%20HDFPP%201%20of%203_zpswv5nivdn.jpg
SWFA%205-25x50%20SS%20HDFPP%202%20of%203_zps5ho6ngc8.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.