Can changing a stock alter your average FPS?

More than likely the chrony. Where you shot through the chrony and angle can make a difference, also temp of the chrony itself, slight angle changes, atmospherics, humidity. On hot day I get a difference of 40-50 ft with ammo out of an a/c vehicle through my Chrony alpha. Not to mention difference in primers, powder lots, bullet lots, barrel wear, brass, it's endless.

I agree with all said.

Anything affecting rearward recoil affects MV. But it should not be so much as you observed.
That brings the chrono into the mix also.

Did you shoot with the new stock right after chrono'ing the old stock? If not you don't have a good control. You cannot say the new stock causes faster velocites.... yet.

Let us know when you test both stocks under same conditions.

I did not chony both stock on the same day. However, I did record the conditions with a kestrel wind meter in both shoots. 1* colder with the old stock and 5% less hunmidity. Pressure was the same. I do admitt though that the chronygraph was not 100% controlled between the shoots. Although it was the same distance, I am sure the angle, time of day, and things like that were not the same. I dont record all of that in my notes, and maybe I should start doing that.

Nevertheless, Old stock back on- I get my old dope back, and it's working. I just shot it at 250yds this morning and got accurate dope.

Yes, I did compare the tow stocks in the area of the barrel lug recess, and found that the new stock had a more loose (sloppy) fit. I am not sure if the savage model 10 series uses a different type of a lug than the model 11 series or even the stevens 200 series.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.