Can anyone weld a 700 bolt handle on

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by garsticker, Jan 24, 2014.

1. garsticker

garsticker Well-Known Member

Loaned my 700 out and was brought back with bolt handle broken off at bolt...help what to do

2. Garycrow

Garycrow Well-Known Member

Remington bolt handles are silver soldered on, don't let anyone try and weld it unless it's a gunsmith that knows what he's doing. Some gunsmiths will TIG weld them on.

I'd call Remington at 800-243-9700. Bolt handles coming off M700's are a pretty common problem and they might fix it for free under warranty.

Beyond that, any gunsmith that works on Remingtons on a regular basis should be able to fix it.

3. mightyman

mightyman Well-Known Member

I had that happen to my sons Model 7, 7.08 about 3 months ago.
    Took it to a gunsmith, who was experienced, silver welded it, and back in a week..
    No problem.

We have been using it ever since, with no problem..take the whole rifle in and leave it with the gunsmith..

MM

4. rifle 57

rifle 57 Well-Known Member

The very best thing to do is have it tig welded by Dan Armstrong in Fairbanks AK.
    PH# 907-457-4259
    He does the very best job there is!!!!

5. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

It happened to a friend on another site after firing only 3 shots on a brand new rifle. It took awhile but they sent him a brand new rifle.

GunBroker.com Message Forums - 700 XCR II UPDATE,,,,

I agree as others noted, have it TIG welded (last time I checked with my smith, it's ~$50) or get a 1-piece bolt, i.e. https://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.co...ducts_id=173&zenid=lqeap5sfha5c5dpg1fbtk10c46

Good luck!

6. ultraedge

ultraedge Well-Known Member

Nate Dagley at SSG gunsmithing. You need to send the bolt and receiver. Excellent work and fast service. Gary

7. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

Important thing is not just the manner of welding, but getting the timing right. When the bolt is fully down the two recoil lugs need to be snug in the action recesses. Most smiths know this and get it right.

8. RedSC

RedSC Member

I broke one off in the middle of a stage in a competition last year. Accurate Ordnance cleaned the old solder off, put two screws in the handle to locate it, and had a local company laser weld it. Turnaround was just over a week including shipping both ways. I don't remember the price now, but it was significantly less than expected.

Btw, the match was a team match, I grabbed my partners rifle and finished the stage- and we ended up with the fastest time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jsthntn247

jsthntn247 Well-Known Member

This here is what you need to do. He did one for me and it's smoother than any rifle I own. Just give him a call.

10. bubba36x

bubba36x Well-Known Member

11. bubba36x

[​IMG]

This is one of the first ones I welded I've welded about thirty of them since this one. I will also be cerekoting in the next week or so.

12. bubba36x

[​IMG]

13. bubba36x

[​IMG]