Can an RWS model 460 spring be fitted into a model 48?

Max Heat

The RWS model 460 airgun (.177 cal) has a MV of 1350fps. My model 48 is supposed go 1100fps, but my chrony indicates that it is about 300fps down. This makes me believe that the mainspring has at least 1 break in it. Before I buy a new one for it, I'd like to know if the 460 mainspring is of dimensions that would allow it to be installed into a 48. I'm not concerned that the higher 460 spring pressure will probably reduce the life of other components in the 48. I just want to know if it will fit into it.

I can now answer my own question. The "simple" answer is: YES!

That is because it uses the SAME spring. The 460 has more power because it has a longer compression tube. But the 1350fps claim is completely bogus. The REAL # is more like 1150, only 50 over my RWS/diana 48. I'm going a different route in giving the 48 a "max-tune".

The velocity numbers are also inflated by marketing and the use of the non lead pellets. If you don't mind trashing your piston you can use the PBA pellets and get the speed, but you won't have the accuracy. The diabolo pellets aren't designed for supersonic flight and will destabilize.

Check out the Dianawerk Collective or Gateway to Airguns for a wealth of info.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.