Can a hornady LnL load precision single stage?

upacreek

My wife shoots a lot of pistol lately and I want to load for precision long range . All my reloading has been on my dad's rcbs press and its time to get my own. Unless someone sells me on something else I am leaning toward a hornady LnL hoping I can run it in a single stage configuration to get more precise. Any recommendations? Trying not to own two presses, but will if needed. What say you?

IMO, you are better off having two presses. It has been my experience that there are just some things that need to be done on a single stage press. I personally believe that ANY reloading bench should start with a single stage press. If you want to add a turret press or a progressive, that's fine. What you will quickly find is that the turret and progressive presses are nowhere near as versatile as a single stage press. They can have speed advantages, but you will still encounter situations where you really need a good single stage press.

I will give you an example from my own reloading experience. Recently, I and a good friend of mine began high volume reloading for .308 using my Dillon 650. We were using once-fired military brass and had a large number of cases to prep.

The first thing we used a single stage press for was decapping. We set up my buddy's Lee Classic Cast with a universal decapping die and proceeded to prep several thousand cases.

When we began to load ammo on the progressive, we found out during testing that the cases had not been sized down far enough to chamber in our rifles. We then had to re-process the brass with small base dies to cure the problem. Simple matter, we set up the single stage with the small base sizing die, reprocessed the brass, and continued the process.

In general, I find myself using the single stage most of the time. When I am going to load in small batches, such as when doing load develpment and when assembling match ammo, I use the single stage. When I load for volume, I use the Dillon.

Could you get away with just a turret press? Probably. But, a rock solid single stage press such as the Classic Cast is not expensive (a bit over $100) and is useful to have around. I truly believe you will be surprised at how much you find yourself using the single stage.

if you want a press thats a progressive and can also be used for single stage loading the dilion 550 is a better choise. Its a manual advance press and that makes it easy to be used as a single stage press.

I agree strongly with Benchracer. I have a LNL AP, and use it for pistol and 223. Aside from that, my single stage gets all the use - simpler, less finicky, and easily adaptable. Get a single to go with your progressive and I would bet you'll use it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts