Camp Perry - 1,000 yards - Iron Sights ?

orion2000

Folks,

I need help. At one point in time, I "thought" I saw a picture in one of the NRA publications showing either Nancy Tomkins Gallagher, or, one of her daughters, holding an iron sighted rifle (peep/aperture sights) and a text caption indicating they had won one of the 1,000 yard matches at Camp Perry with the iron sighted rifle.

I work with a former Marine sniper who continues to shoot competitively, including at Camp Perry. He tells me that he has never seen anyone shoot the 1,000 yard (meter) ranges at Camp Perry without optics.

He is a former sniper and compeitive shooter. I am only a hunter/ shooting enthusiast from back woods Kentucky. Did I totally misread the caption ?

Any URL links to a current webpage that would prove/disprove the point would be tremendously appreciated... (to the tune of the lunch that I bet him :))

Thanks...

Many people shoot irons at 1000yd NM @ Camp Perry. There's even a 1000yd Service Rifle class. What you don't ever hear is that a lot of the match rifle style iron sights out there are easier to shoot than a scope because there is no parallax. Cool stuff!

They even use black powder on some shoots with sharps rifles.

Attachments

• Dogs and cats 246.jpg
    Dogs and cats 246.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 39
Pinchegil,

Thanks for the link. That should suffice. We discussed further today. He says he has only shot 12" bulls at a 1,000 yards. At some point I "thought" the overall "black portion" of the 1,000 yard targets was around 48" diameter with a something like a 10" or 12" X ring.

Thank you !

Many people shoot irons at 1000yd NM @ Camp Perry. There's even a 1000yd Service Rifle class. What you don't ever hear is that a lot of the match rifle style iron sights out there are easier to shoot than a scope because there is no parallax. Cool stuff!

I find that the scope is distracting. I shoot better scores with aperture sights. I think it is more about focusing on my position and natural point of aim. With a scope I "think" that I can just move the crosshairs to the center and it will come up an X. It won't. Even though you can see better, you really need to execute the same fundamentals.

Read several places that elmer keith (the god behind the 44 mag) would shoot his 44mag and reliably hit 24" gongs at 1000 yards. If this is true or not i do not know. Wish i could see it in person though. Sometime google 1000 yard 44 mag and you will see several websites about this.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.