camo

...I'm tired of being cold and mismatched. Needs to be good for 0 or colder but not break the bank.

Without knowing how big the bank is but with a very good understanding of cold weather clothing, allow me to add this.
Good cold weather clothing isn't cheap. Good hunting clothing that is rugged, durable and comfortable isn't cheap. I can remember times when I'd have gladly given the hundred bucks I saved on buying the less expensive outer gear to the guy next to me in the field when I was so cold I couldn't feel my extremities.
Camo is more common than I'd like but if the good stuff comes in camo I buy it.
My choice is Kuiu ... hands down. Buy it once and enjoy it for a lifetime.

I'd say that every poncho I've seen is not breathable. That negates the breathability of Gore-Tex and lets posture build up in your layers.

If your GTX has a good DWR treatment like Revivex it will not "wet out" but make water bead up so it can breath.

Personally I own both Gore-Tex and eVent parkas and from my backpacking and back country skiing experience I'll take eVent any time. Problem is nobody makes eVent camo shells. (Cabela's, are you listening??)

I'd say that every poncho I've seen is not breathable. That negates the breathability of Gore-Tex and lets posture build up in your layers.

If your GTX has a good DWR treatment like Revivex it will not "wet out" but make water bead up so it can breath.

Personally I own both Gore-Tex and eVent parkas and from my backpacking and back country skiing experience I'll take eVent any time. Problem is nobody makes eVent camo shells. (Cabela's, are you listening??)
Modern ponchos are woven from polyester and similar fabrics, not the old vinyl crap of decades gone by so they breathe pretty well. They also do not create an airtight seal so it's kind of a non issue. They will however keep the rain and snow off of you pretty well and combined with a poncho liner are amazingly good at breaking the wind and keeping you warm.

I'm not suggesting this as an alternative to other gear but as an addition to break out once you get to where you are going. It doesn't take a lot to keep you warm when you are moving but once you settle into a position, especially if you are on the ground the cold starts creeping in, that's when you need the extra layer of protection.

Wild Rose,
It ain't the fabric that makes ponchos non-breathable but rather the polyurethane coating on the inside. Even the very lightest ponchos made for UL backpackers is "Silnylon" i.e. lightweight nylon coated with silicone waterproofing. It also is not breathable. I know B/C I have two tents made of Silnylon - both are made in the USA by Tarptent in Nevada City, California.

BUT... ponchos are a lot better vented than rain suits which is why some backpackers use them.

There is only one poncho-like garment that I know of that is made of a WPB fabric like Gore-Tex or eVent and it is actually a parka with zipper and sleeves with a large back to cover your pack. It's called a "Packa". It is made by one man who is the sole employee of this cottage industry.

I'm a big fan of the sitka stuff, but its not cheap. i think the core4element is pretty good to for a little less money

as far as a cross draw holster goes, i wouldn't go that way. safariland makes a ELS/QLS system that you can put a holster on a belt system. I just put mine on my waist strap of my backpack, then its there when i need it and doesn't get in the way either. with the ELS system, its a quick release so you can carry another receiver if you want to put it on your belt when you don't have a pack. might just have to get creative

Old thread but it's near the top. As far as quality/budget clothing, I'm a fan of Cabela's outfitter stuff. Never worn Sitka or Kuiu, but I'm not the type to spend $1,000 on an "outfit", unless it is a matter of life and death, for some guys I'm sure it is. I don't get to hunt enough to drop that kind of coin on clothes, and it is generally in the teens and up where I am.

You do need several layers, but depending on the type of hunting you do, you may be able to get by with a base layer like under armour, a mid-weight fleece layer, and a heavy top layer with wind protection, plus rain gear if needed. Personally, I find it a pain in the *** to constantly be changing clothes to adjust to the weather, but it is often a fact of life.

If you're going to be moving a lot with a pack on or in rough terrain, you better be a bit chilly when you start or you're going to be a sweat hog by the time you get where you're going. If you aren't as toasty as you could be when you get in your stand or sit down to glass for awhile, you're going to be chilled to the bone by hour 2-3.

The Cabela's stuff doesn't have an athletic fit, and I wish it did, but it is warm, high quality, and affordable. They offer a range of thicknesses, water and wind proofing, etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts