Calling all Hogs

Bruce Rickey

Has anyone called in hogs. Please, please don't give me the soo-wee, soo-wee or the Rabionite call from N E Georgia reserved for wayward canoest from Atlanta. I have heard that squeels and preditor calls can sometimes bring pigs out of the thickets. It would be great to hunt them like preditors if possible. It seems that there just is not a lot of info on how to hunt them unless you hunt them from under a feeder or after dark with night vision.

Has anyone called in hogs. Please, please don't give me the soo-wee, soo-wee or the Rabionite call from N E Georgia reserved for wayward canoest from Atlanta. I have heard that squeels and preditor calls can sometimes bring pigs out of the thickets. It would be great to hunt them like preditors if possible. It seems that there just is not a lot of info on how to hunt them unless you hunt them from under a feeder or after dark with night vision.

I have had some success using a fox pro call and the distressed piglet call sound.( a sow will
come almost every time if she has babies). be sure and place the call well away from your
hunting position to avoid tense moments.

The fighting boar call gets a lot of attention but I have not brought on in with it(After all who/or
what would wan't to get between a couple of boars that wanted to do bodily harm to
each other)

I have heard of some varmint calls working but have not seen it yet.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the info. I have a good set up for both the sows and boars. The sows taste better as they are feeding on peanuts. Do you have a good source for the calls?

Check out youtube for calling wild hogs. There was a few on there last time I checked. Good info on set ups. Have not ever tried calling hogs but we did start trapping them a few months ago and they are very vocal when one of them is in a bind.

I googled electronic hog calls and got several hits, over 3 million. Game traks has six different pig calls and there is a reveiw of the caller here,Game Traks Review By Troy Adams - LongRangeHunting.com Online Magazine and Forums. Hope this helps. I remember while growing up on the farm that you did not want to get a piglet squealing when mama was around. the whole sounder would attack.

Russ

+1 We used to raise Hogs and when the piglets got to squeeling look out here comes the whole bunch !! Seems like the piglet call would work great.

BigBuck

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.