Called Eight--Five Down

tt35

I was fortunate to get some new ground to hunt but had been unable to get out and hunt it until saturday. My youngest son, Ben, his oldest brother, Hank, and I got to the property just after daylight. It was still eight degrees outside. Less than a minute into the first stand we had two coyotes come around on the flat below us. They were pretty cautious. The male sat down and the female (presumably) started a wide loop then headed away. She stopped on the far side of the flat and Hank thought it was now or never. However, he overestimated the range and shot over her. Ben and I lined up on the male as it took off across the flat. My third shot was simultaneous with Ben's second shot and the coyote rolled. He got up and we had to finish him but it was a pretty good start.

The second stand was blank but the third stand had a coyote show up late--about 20 minutes into the stand. This time there was no doubt when Hank pulled the trigger and we had two coyotes in the Ranger. Ben saw a coyote leave after Hank's shot that came from the other direction but couldn't get a shot. Stand four had a coyote appear at 160 yards and it hung up there. I was able to move around and make the shot. He was a nice sized male with good gaurd hairs but, unfortunately, I had a rare exit from my 35 gr Berger load out of my .204. Good thing my fur buyer is good with dental floss!

The next stand looked like it was going to be a bust until I put some pup distress on the Fury and a big, light gray male came over the ridge. He was really packin' the mail. Ben was setup about 150 yards to the west of me. He barked the coyote to a stop and again our simultaneous shots dropped the coyote. I told him that since my .204 was travelling 700 fps faster than his .243AI load that my bullet obviously got there first but he still claimed the coyote--go figure!

The next stand had a coyote show up at 250 yards and again he hung up. These coyotes were pretty cautious. I went ahead and took the shot but we had to track him over the ridge where he lodged himself into a hole in the rocks. When I grabbed his tail, he definitely showed that he was still alive! Eventually, I was able to put another bullet in him and he made five in the bed of the Ranger. Ben missed a 200 yard shot on the next stand--a pretty rare occurence for him and our last stand was a blank but overall it was a good day. Eight stands, eight coyotes called and five in the truck.

Here are some pics from the day
Hank with the second coyote.
11coyotes001.jpg

Ben and coyote number four.
11coyotes010.jpg

Kind of a poor photo of the happy truck load.
11coyotes014.jpg

A Happy New Year full of predator hunting memories to all!

Another good day congratulations! One thing I noticed when I was there, while there is definitely big country to hunt, you're pretty good at exploiting small corners I would have overlooked in the past. If you get in an article frame of mind I'd love to hear your thoughts on "micro" stands.
Thanks
Carl

Nice shootin boys, congrats! I've Ben Watchin a few on my family farm and getting used to the new rifle....after a 667 yard shot on a corner post today I think I'm good....not sure how big of a hole my 300 wsm is gunna make but my fur buyer said he didn't care much....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.