Caliber Suggestions...have at it

I know that I would not even think about this one. It is like we are trying to reinvent the wheel here. The 6.5x284 may be a barrel burner but the 260 isn't. But as far as just about being able to do what you want and maybe someday you have to get a barrel screwed on then so be it. But I would for sure go with the 6.5x284. They are just a accurate round, and know alot of elk that have fallen to them over 500 yards didn't know it was not a magnum. I cannot explain why a gun with a lightweight bullet and slower mv kills like it does. Typically the lr hunters I have seen shoot great, butt we are getting 2900-50 on the top end with the 140's. The creedmoore would be maybe 2700. I don't believe you have to have alot of speed but I think there is a place when to accept 2700 and that maybe with a lapua with the 300 grainers shooting one whole.

Huntthedistance the main reason I would not consider it a magnum is that it has a smaller case capacity than the 30/06. The parrent case the 284 has a smaller capacity than the 280 and it is not a magnum. I guess the necked down version of the 284 could be considered a magnum cartrage since it is throwing a smaller bullet. But after all magnum is just and name. IE 223 remington magnum is and 22-250 is not.:D

To the OP I think JE Custom hit the nail on the head.

Fellow LRH,

If you are looking for a savage long range hunter i would reccomend the 11 or 111 in 300 win mag. It may be a little big for your target animal, but there are other caliber options. I think there is also the option of a muzzle break.

I think that all Savage LRH's come with breakes on them. I'm actually starting to lean toward either a 300win mag or 7mm rem mag

Unlike most everyone else here on LRH, I much prefer the 7 Rem mag to a .300 anything... most of the time. Less recoil for identical BC's, and you can't tell me an elk is going to tell the difference between a 210 gr 30 cal bullet and a 180 gr 7mm. I've shot way to many to be convinced otherwise.

There may be flames.

As has been stated, I would go 6.5-284, if you want a 6.5. That round has a long and successful history as a 1000 yard target round. It is proven.
LR, done right, is not a cheap shooting discipline. Feel fortunate if you are able to shoot enough to need new barrels, and gladly put on Kreigers! (more flames, maybe)

My favorite shoot everything from prairie dogs to elk cartridge is the 7 mag. If you're shooting deer your effective range, with heavy bullets if you have a proper twist rate, will exceed what your factory Savage will most likely be capable of. There is a wealth of good load data, great components including the excellent RWS brass, and it isn't as hard on barrels as some of the real hot rods.
Have you considered what glass you are going to use? Good glass with accurate and reliable turrets is just as important as the rifle itself. I would suggest NF and S&B.

Unlike most everyone else here on LRH, I much prefer the 7 Rem mag to a .300 anything... most of the time. Less recoil for identical BC's, and you can't tell me an elk is going to tell the difference between a 210 gr 30 cal bullet and a 180 gr 7mm. I've shot way to many to be convinced otherwise.

There may be flames.

As has been stated, I would go 6.5-284, if you want a 6.5. That round has a long and successful history as a 1000 yard target round. It is proven.
LR, done right, is not a cheap shooting discipline. Feel fortunate if you are able to shoot enough to need new barrels, and gladly put on Kreigers! (more flames, maybe)

My favorite shoot everything from prairie dogs to elk cartridge is the 7 mag. If you're shooting deer your effective range, with heavy bullets if you have a proper twist rate, will exceed what your factory Savage will most likely be capable of. There is a wealth of good load data, great components including the excellent RWS brass, and it isn't as hard on barrels as some of the real hot rods.
Have you considered what glass you are going to use? Good glass with accurate and reliable turrets is just as important as the rifle itself. I would suggest NF and S&B.

No flames. I'm a big 300 fan and shoot with(or used to) a few 7mm guys and I think(for whatever that's worth) that its a good cartridge, and have looked into buying something in the platform in the future because it makes no sense to become a supporter of any one cartridge just because. I would encourage the OP to go with the 6.5, since that is what he is leaning so hard toward.

That said, as proven as the 7mm round is, so is the 300, and then some.:)

I wouldn't want my posts to be misconstrued as putting the .300's down. They are kick-*** rounds. I shot a .300 Jarrett until the barrel went south. That was an elk stompin' machine! I just got tired of the extra recoil. The 7 mags I, and numerous clients, shot seemed to kill just as dead but with less drama. At this point if I was going to go bigger than my 7 mag/270 WSM's , it would be .338 Lapua or similar.

I have considered both the 300 win mag and the 7mm rem mag because of their good balistics and tge wide range of bullet selection. As far as glass I'm still debating between vortex, bushnell, leupold, and a few others. I'm definitely going to spend time and money on some decent glass

I have a Savage in 6.5x.284 and it has become my favorite rifle. It does it all without the abusive recoil and muzzle blast of the larger calibers.
The 338 Lapua is just to much gun unless your after elk. The price of ammo is prohibitive to shooting a lot.
The 6.5x284 is very accurate, reasonably cheap to shoot so you can shoot a lot, and will kill anything up to elk size at extended ranges. I prefer 30 cal. for elk but that is just my opinion.
Shot mine at prairie dogs and squirrels and it does well.

I chose the .260 over the 6.5 Creedmoor for several reasons. The first reason is the availability of Lapua brass. The second reason is diversity and availability of factory ammo, even though I reload. You never know when you might find yourself in a situation, beyond your control, where you have to locate and use factory ammo. The third reason is the ability to rechamber to this, to get 6.5X284 performance with less powder and barrel wear. Rechambering doesn't require a new barrel and you can form Lapua brass (or any other .260 brass) from a standard .260 load.

I chose the .260 over the 6.5 Creedmoor for several reasons. The first reason is the availability of Lapua brass. The second reason is diversity and availability of factory ammo, even though I reload. You never know when you might find yourself in a situation, beyond your control, where you have to locate and use factory ammo. The third reason is the ability to rechamber to this, to get 6.5X284 performance with less powder and barrel wear. Rechambering doesn't require a new barrel and you can form Lapua brass (or any other .260 brass) from a standard .260 load.

Regarding the performance comment of the 260 Rem vs 6.5x284. Understand, Im not talking every rifle or yours particularly, but generly the 260 is roughly 50-100fps slower than the 6.5x284. Or it pushes the 130 VLD about the same speed a the 6.5x284 pushes the 140 VLD.

Now before I get a bunch of people chiming in, stating there respected velocities, I know many custom rifles will shoot with higher velocities than factory rifles. That also works for both calibers too. That being said, every rifle is different, and I know some are better performers (velocity) than the norm.....but they aren't the norm, they are the exception.

To the O.P....I think that the 7mm is the best all around per your request. Not as much kick as the 300wm but a little more knock down power than the 6.5s, yet still maintaining great ballistic performance. I personally love the 300wm as the kick doesn't bother me because I have a heavier gun.

You need to understand that the level of shooters on this forum (not me) is extremely high. They are very precise and educated people. To ask what one gun should be used for such a wide range of applications is a difficult question. A lot of long range shooter have a particular caliber for a variety of particular situations. I guess what I'm saying is there is no one caliber that's perfect. You will get lots of info on this site, take it all in, then go with your gut. You won't be disappointed because all the calibers listed are good ones.
Brent

Regarding the performance comment of the 260 Rem vs 6.5x284. Understand, Im not talking every rifle or yours particularly, but generly the 260 is roughly 50-100fps slower than the 6.5x284. Or it pushes the 130 VLD about the same speed a the 6.5x284 pushes the 140 VLD.

Now before I get a bunch of people chiming in, stating there respected velocities, I know many custom rifles will shoot with higher velocities than factory rifles. That also works for both calibers too. That being said, every rifle is different, and I know some are better performers (velocity) than the norm.....but they aren't the norm, they are the exception.

To the O.P....I think that the 7mm is the best all around per your request. Not as much kick as the 300wm but a little more knock down power than the 6.5s, yet still maintaining great ballistic performance. I personally love the 300wm as the kick doesn't bother me because I have a heavier gun.

You need to understand that the level of shooters on this forum (not me) is extremely high. They are very precise and educated people. To ask what one gun should be used for such a wide range of applications is a difficult question. A lot of long range shooter have a particular caliber for a variety of particular situations. I guess what I'm saying is there is no one caliber that's perfect. You will get lots of info on this site, take it all in, then go with your gut. You won't be disappointed because all the calibers listed are good ones.
Brent

I believe you probably missed the link I posted. I wasn't claiming the 260 Remington would give 6.5X284 performance. I linked to a 260 improved that has increased case capacity and will push a 140 in the 3000 fps vicinity, which is in the performance area of the 6.5X284.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.