Cajun in Alaska

goatsoldier69

hello all,
My name is Goat, i am from the bayous south of New Orleans La. I am active duty army and on my dream assignment. I will be in Fairbanks AK for 3 Yrs. It beautiful here. I will be posting alot of questions to the members that have hunted or live in AK. gun)any hints or advice will be greatly appreciated, guns i have Savage 270, 300wm, 45acp, and multiple shotguns,

thanks, any sugestion i am planningon moding out my 300 win mag, with choate stock and muzzle break, just don't know the scope to put on it that would get me the best use. I have a nikon bdc prostaff on my 270 would that be a good choice for my 300 also. also any other suggestions for a stock would be greatly appreciated. I still want to stay a hunting rifle.

I have 2 choate stocks and I love them. They are very solid and accurate for the price but be prepared they do add some weight. As far as the scope I have no experience with nikon but I am a huge fan of vortex scopes. I would recommend going with the viper line or above. I learned from experience and broke 2 crossfires on my 300 win mag before they got tired of fixing it and traded me up in scopes free of charge. They are terrific to work with. Thats my 2 cent anyway.

Jason

jrw1976, thanks for the info, i just dropped off my rifle to get a muzzle ported, so with the choate stock would makeit much heavier to carry in the field, i may just hold off on it until i get back to louisiana cause i prob won't shoot it down in the bayou unless i want to split the deer in half. LOL. Thanks again for the info.

The 2 guns I have with choate stocks are a little heavy, but not bad with one of Lens double shoulder slings that he sells on this site. Mine weights 14# and my sons is 16#. He carried mine for 30 miles all together over the period of a week hunting season last year with no complaints. I guess what Im saying is dont be affraid of a little weight it will really help with steadiness when that long shot does come.

Jason

As active duty military in Ak you are enttitled to the same hunting oportunities as the residents. I would take advantage of that to it's fullest. Alaska has a few animals that only residents can hunt unless you go with a licensed guide. These come to mind brown bears, Mt Goat, dahl sheep. I see no reason why you cannot participate and be succesful in those hunts if you do your homework and have realistic expectations.

At home in AZ I often hunt alone for the day, I do not recommend this for Alaska always go with a budy, cary bear spray and have it handy, and be smart about what you do. Alaska weather and animals can be unpredictable and help may be hours or days away. Treat all situations as if your life depends upon it because at any point it may. With that said enjoy it, use it, and tell us all about it. North of Fairbanks you can get some long shots but in the coastal regions most shooting oportunites are short range.

Thanks for the serivce and make the most of it while you are there. Many of the resident benefits extend to your immediate family members while hunting there with you.

Thanks you both of all of the info. I am truely excited on being here it is surely a chance of a lifetime for a bayouboy like me. My wife has already put her foot down and told me I can't play in the woods here without a buddy. Ihave already obtained my fishin and basic hunting lisence, but had elbow surg about 2 weeks ago, just dropped off my 300wm to get ported so it won't kick my old butt. I will surely keep you'll posted.

Hello from New Mexico. I have an old buddy from my service days--a Cajun like you--who's been up there for 20 years or more. His first name is Howard. He went to LSU and is still an LSU fanatic. I'll see if I can get him to contact you. He knows a lot about hunting up there. BTW, the fishing over in the Kenai is great and if you haven't done it yet, make a trip to the military resort on Seward and book throught the resort for a fishing trip for halibut and silvers when they're running, which is next month for the silvers. They all eat great.

Sorry i didn't reply timely i have been extremely busy. That would be awesome if you could hook us up, [email protected]. the only fishing i have done is rainbow, i had surgery in june on elbow so it laid me up for a while.

you will love it. warning. outings up here tend to be more intensive. successful hunts are more than a weekend drive to the duck or deer camp. There is some good hunting on military installation land, and if you are willing to hike areas that are closed to 4 wheelers and such. Save your nickels and plan to use an air taxi or boat service to get to areas with less pressure. Its a big state, few roads and hunting trips take a lot of logisitical planning. Dont be intimidated. Guys with good outdoor skills and patience from lower 48 do well. But dumb mistakes-like wearing wet blue jeans in the field or slicing your foot open chopping wood takes on a new meaning. read, read, read regarding gear and survival skills. Geaux Tigers!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.