cabelas windshear

BuckSnort

I'm looking to get some lightweight but warm gear for my backpacking hunts... I was looking at either the polarfleece or Berber both with the windshear lining. . I was wondering if the lining makes the garments loud? The rainsweade with Dry Plus I am currently using is a little noisy for my liking, even while sitting still glassing.. Any input would be appreciated.

I have berber fleece and wooltimate clothes with the windshear lining. It works and isn't to loud, but the clothing is heavy. I only use it predator calling or whitetail hunting and wear lighter layers in the mountains. I'd look at Sitka hunting clothes for outer-wear and a good lightweight down jacket for insulation while glassing. I think you could find a good combo much lighter than the cabelas clothes.

I've got the pull over berber hooded jacket with windshear. Very warm, almost too much unless you're sitting on a stand. It's not noisy at all but is bulky and doesn't lend itself to backpack hunting at all.

Thanks for the input fella's I'll keep looking around... Sitka seems overpriced and it falls apart according to many folks... KUIU looks like good quality but seems noisy..

mcseal2, Thanks for the input... Is the Sitka stuff noisy? from Their videos it seems like it would be like dragging a limb across a tent if walking through brush...

The ascent and celcius series are not noisy at all. I have an older Nimbus rain jacket that is a little louder but still not bad. Some pants rub together and make noise when you walk also, and I've not had that problem with these. Their stuff I have all has a soft finish and not a loud nylon shell like a tent.

I like to use a light outer jacket for walking and carry a down jacket to put on for extended glassing. I have a pretty good internal heater so I don't get cold easily. I have a 800 fil Montbell down jacket that weighs under 13oz and is real warm under a light wind-resistand outer jacket. The down jacket packs real small also for carry. Add a good baclava and gloves, and I stay as warm as I ever do on a hunt like that.

If I'm hunting whitetail where I will have a 1/2 mile walk and then a 3hr sit I break out the berber fleece or wooltimate. I still get warm if I wear them walking into my stand in 0 degree weather.

hope this helps

I've used the Sitka rainwear / outerwear for several years and it is not at all noisy when compared to similar offerings from other manufacturers. I did snag my Ascent pants & tore a 2" hole in a cuff this last winter. They are not invincible but for a backpack hunt I firmly believe there is nothing better.

I would NEVER opt for a down jacket on a backpack hunt. If down gets wet it collapses & loses all its' insulation value — and it can take DAYS to dry. A good polyester-fiberfill coat makes much more sense as they are almost as warm as down but retain much of their insulation value when wet & dry almost instantly.

Down is useless when wet and slow to dry as buano said. I've always used it under a good quality rain jacket and been fine. I usually dress to where my base layers and shell layer are enough for the conditions, and the jacket is just insurance if I get cold. In some conditions that may not be enough. I have a Cabelas pack-down vest with synthetic down that dries quickly I carry also sometimes. It isn't as warm for the weight as the down jacket but would be better wet.

The ascent and celcius series are not noisy at all. I have an older Nimbus rain jacket that is a little louder but still not bad. Some pants rub together and make noise when you walk also, and I've not had that problem with these. Their stuff I have all has a soft finish and not a loud nylon shell like a tent.

I like to use a light outer jacket for walking and carry a down jacket to put on for extended glassing. I have a pretty good internal heater so I don't get cold easily. I have a 800 fil Montbell down jacket that weighs under 13oz and is real warm under a light wind-resistand outer jacket. The down jacket packs real small also for carry. Add a good baclava and gloves, and I stay as warm as I ever do on a hunt like that.

If I'm hunting whitetail where I will have a 1/2 mile walk and then a 3hr sit I break out the berber fleece or wooltimate. I still get warm if I wear them walking into my stand in 0 degree weather.

hope this helps

It was a big help, thanks for taking the time to reply... I'll start saving for some better lighter gear, the stuff I take with me now is heavy and bulky...

The KUIU and Sitka products are not noisy. The KUIU stuff I have is very quite and very comfortable.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.