Cabela's Alaskan Guide Premium Rifle Scopes

Idaho Shooter64

Cabela\'s Alaskan Guide Premium Rifle Scopes

Just picked up a 6-20x40 to put on a 7mmRem Mag. Super clear plenty bright. Shot on Sunday with it if it holds up to lots of shooting its a grat deal at $360.

Re: Cabela\'s Alaskan Guide Premium Rifle Scopes

The glass in them is pretty compairable to the Leupold VXIII's and from the one I have on my Rem LV in .223 the adjustments are very repeatable. For the money you can't beat them but many will argue their not a NF and thats for sure but then they don't cost that much eaither. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
They also have about 70 MOA adjustment in them too which works. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have my second Alaskan Guide 6.5X20 44 Mil Dot. It tracks good and is decent glass. The first one came undone internally when I put the brake on the 338 Win. It was super on the 270 Win and held up on the 338 Win for about 20 shots after the brake installation.

If the reticle would have been in the first focal plane, as were the first ones, I guess, it would have been much better. Its calibrated at 10X

However, one phone call and they sent the new one. At the moment I have nothing to mount it on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Roy, Cabela's has two differnt Alskan Guide scopes. The plain Alaskan guide is there so-called low end vs premium line. the premium has better glass, but the alaskan guide has more options as far as power ranges and now they have a side focus.

Mine is not the premium but lists for $20 more than the most expensive premium?

I'm thinking that there isn't a lick of difference between the two levels of scope except for the wording and rubber here and there.....

I purchased a Alaskan Guide Premium (6.5-20x40mm) in August for my 204. I looked at the 30mm tube, 52mm Obj. Alaskan Guide and the Leupold VXIII (1" tube) all in the same power. The Premium was about equal to the VXIII (and 1/2 the price) and the regular A.K. was really dark in comparison to the other two.

Long story short, bought the Premium and love it. Great optic quality and very repeatable.

I have the 4X12X44 AG Premium on my Rem LV .223 and think it an awsome scope. I also have on my Kimber 84M varmint .22-250 one of the AG in 6.5X20X44 Never a problem with them. Both are way clearer than my 8X40 Leupold by leaps and bounds but Its mounted on the gun so it can stay there till if change it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
The AG Preimum in 6.5X20X44 with the AO is what I'm going to put on my two new rifles though. We will see how it handles the .300RUM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy i work for the company and i agree with you that they are very equal but that's the way it was explained to me. i use the term "low end" very loosely. i think you hit it on the head that only a few changes on the outside make up the difference. bottom line , they are great scopes for the money!!!!!!!!!

Most of the differance is in the lense coatings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I was looking at them and was wondering if the 20 power model with the 30mm tube and 52mm objective would be any brighter or clearer than the "premium unit with the 40 or 44mm obj?
I'm wanting a bright clear scope to put on a heavy 243 thats going to be my "borrow" gun
So would the 300 tube model be better than the "premium"

ddubas,

The deciding factor of my purchase was an article that I read that said that the reticle was in the first focal plane. When it arrived that was not the case. I figured Ahpoop. But kept it anyway. Other than that snafu and the fact that I won't put in on a thumper/brake I like the scope.

Also this thread it the first that I have seen that even mentions the Alaskan Guide scopes. Its kind of like people are coming of the closet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Shame, shame they are a decent value.

Of the two that I have in the AG and the AG premium the premium is noticably clearer than the AG regular. I also like the clickable focus on the eyepiece a lot better on the AGP plus the rubber coverer on the AO adjustment makes adjusting the paralax a lot easier. The adjustments on the turrents are both about the same. One differance I do notice is the fact that the AGP is a lot lighter.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts