Cabelas Alaska hunter boots

mcseal2

I was looking for a good pair of boots for mountain hunting in later seasons. I have weak ankles and wanted a fairly stiff 10" boot for support on side hills. I saw that these are made by Meindl and looked to be a decent buy for $300. Anyone tried them?

Thanks!

I would spend a little extra money and invest in a Pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. They are a fantastic boot that require minimal break in and will last a long time. I bought a pair of Meindl boots for a Grizzly hunt a few years ago and wore them for a week religiously around the house. Even after a week they were no where near broke in. I sent them back to Cabelas and ordered a pair of Kenetreks and they were "hunt ready" within the first hour of wearing them. I have not looked back and now own several pairs of them.

I have about 200 miles on my Alaska Hunters and they feel very much the same as new. If they feel good the first time on, your good to go. If not, do not buy them! They will not conform to your foot. I've changed out insoles a few times and found a insole/sock combo that works for me. Great boot for the right application but are not what I would consider a general hiking/hunting boot. Mine only go on if I'm packing over 40#'s.

Interesting note: Mine are not the most comfortable boots I've ever worn when wearing them. BUT, my feet feel great after taking them off and the next day there is no pain. I've had boots that were comfortable to wear but left me with sore feet the next day from lack of support. Take it for what it's worth!

I went ahead and ordered a pair to try, I will be careful to wear them around the house only for a little while and decide if I'm keeping them or not. I have a pair of light Danner boots for most hunting, I just want something with more support for the miles of sidehill I travel in the mountains. If I decide to return these I'll try the Kennetreks next. Thanks for the info.

They are great boots. I have taken them to BC for Mountain Goats. and second trip for mountain caribou and bear. Numerous Elk and Deer hunts. Not to mention my summer hiking trips to get me in shape for fall. I have never had a problem with them. Great support. Comfortable. You will not be disappointed. I've had mine for 6 years and they are still waterproof.

They are great boots, very comparable to Kennetrek. Hold up for years, very rugged. Feel strange like a ski boot at first, but keep the feet comfortable and reduce blisters.

I did a pile of research to replace my worn out mtn boots and tried the Kenetrek, but they did not fit my foot - too narrow here, to wide there. For the premium price, they also lack a true Goretex Liner and Vibram soles, both key features that the Meindl Alaska Hunters have, for less $$. But the key to whatever boot you get, they must fit excatly right within an hour or two. None of these boots break-in much or at all. For me the Alaska Hunters fit like a glove. So far I have about 80 miles on them and they are feeling and functioning as well as any boot I have used. Leaving on a solo sheep hunt with them on August 27th and have zero concerns.

I have MEINDL Alaskan boots fron Cabela's, they fit like a glove and I have never had a bad paire. I lost part of my rt foot in an Auto/Motorcycle accident in 79 and they have never damaged my Skin Graft. I would give them an A+ on fit, in the hills they are great also.
Winter my feet are toasty and in Summer they are just right.

Its all about the fit. If they don't fit you have wasted your money no matter how much you paid.

True, but you need a 3-4 solid boots for your fitting tests. IMO the Cabela's AK Hunter is worth adding to that list. I have had mine 3 years now. They have been worn hard and beat on and still feel great on the feet. Best of all they are the most waterproof leather boot I have ever owned. They can handle a load and are burly and stiff enough for hardcore mountain hunting.

Caveat: I added Green Superfeet and wear OR Crocodile Gaiters.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.