buying a new 300 wm soon, need insight

Garb72

Three weeks ago I had my win 70 super grade in 300 Wm all done up stolen. I'm looking for a new long range replacement. I have been looking hard on the rem sendero and came across the savage 111 lrh I believe. I do not reload, yet. I live in CA so must shoot copper, if that matters. I have been looking into the sightron siii scope with tally rings/bases.... is this setup decent? I'm on some what of a budget so don't wanna do a whole lot to make it shoot well.... witch rifle would be more accurate out of the box.... what type of numbers can I expect? I would like to get a solid 700 yards out of the new rig and play at 1000. Will be hunting pig deer and elk. Thanks in advance, Travis

That's a bumber, and sad to say I can understand what your going through.

I would go with the Savage for out of the box.

Sorry about your loss.

A lot of people brag about the accuracy of both models. But, I suspect it's a toss up that may come down to the individual rifle. Either way, they should both be sufficient for 700 yds hunting and playing at 1k.

I own a Sendero and other Savages and like them both.

I have held the 111LRH, but haven't shot it. My impression was that it is a little lighter weight overall. The built-in muzzle brake doesn't look to me as if it would be as effective as several after-market models. I really like the Accutriggers.

Sendero has a heavier barrel and I suspect it would do better firing 20 round strings at 1k. But, I doubt it matters for cold-bore or for a 3 shot group. I would probably be looking to add a brake and replace the trigger unless the newer ones have the x-mark pro.

They're both good shooters. So, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

-- richard

IMO both will shoot out of the box. I have not owned a savege yet but, everything I have heard says they are shooters for sure.

How are the stocks on the savage, are they free floating and solid... or would it need to be replaced... would a new stock improve accuracy any?

I would not replace the stock on the Savage LRH. It is free-floated and by all accounts an accurate rifle.

I would enjoy it as-is, or purchase a lower priced model to build on. ...at which point, you could choose your own trigger, stock, brake, etc...

-- richard

I want a gun to get me.going and then have a bulild up rifle again later.... I was dead set on the sendero but I am abut 5050 on the savage vs sendero.... I guess I just need a push in a direction.... its.seems I will be happy with the performance of each.

If you want the better looks with decent accuracy buy the sendero, if you want it for accuracy and are not so concerned with appearance buy the savage.

out of the box... savage long range hunter in my opinion.. I have a remington 300 RUM that has takin alot of work to shoot good groups. I bought a savage LRH in 6.5x284 norma.. out of the box 4 shots within 1/2 moa at 100 yrds.. thats pretty good in my opinion.. but I am new to the game of long range hunting/shooting aswell:)

kasey

I bought the savage 111 lrh. In 300 wm. And couldn't be happier. It shoots ragged holes at 100 yards. I have been shooting 3 shot groups that can be completely covered by a dime... I topped it with the sightron siii 6-24x50. I couldn't be happier! Thank you for the help.

I was literally going through this EXACT debate not too long ago.. Sendero or LRH. In the end I didn't buy either haha. And I'll tell you why.

The Sendero II is an amazing rifle. I truly like the feel, look and accuracy. However, they are expensive. Last I checked they were roughly $1100-1200.

The 111 LRH was my next choice. Had everything I wanted, 26" barrel with muzzle brake, accustock and accutrigger. But again... roughly $950. However, consider this... the " 26inch " barrel really is only a 24" barrel with a 2" muzzle brake. And, the cheek piece is only a $75 purchase from Karsten. Plus, the muzzle brake is a poor design for efficiency. Although this shoots accurately, and is lightweight... for nearly $1,000 you can get a MUCH better rig...

Not too long ago I purchased the 111 FCNS 300WM. It comes with a 24" barrel, Accustock & Accutrigger. But it was only $500 at GunEnvy. I slapped a Millett LRS-1 6-25x56mm mildot scope on it for $420 which came WITH the rings. With this rig alone you could easily shoot out to 750yds accurately. BUT... if you wanted to spend a very little bit you could easily tweak the 111FCNS to be a MONSTER.

I upgraded the stock to a Choate Super Sniper for $150 (had to make some minor modifications to fit the trigger, but nothing you can't do by hand with a tiny file). I recently ordered up a McGowen rifle barrel. They come prefit for the Savage actions for roughly $300 (which means you can install yourself). I'm getting a 30" heavy barrel and then having Jim at CenterShot in WI install a 3-Port Muscle Brake for another $225 or so. When all is said and done, I will have less than $1,500 out of pocket to have an insanely accurate rifle that I'd stack up against any others for the cost. I'm about to sell the factory accustock and barrel for about $200. So that just lowered the cost of the buld even more.

The bottom line is this... the LRH and the Sendero are GREAT rifles. You'd be happy with either one of them. BUT, if you add up the cost of each of them after scopes are installed you are talking $1300 MINIMUM. If you kept it simple and just purchased the scope and rifle, you could be under a grand with the 111FCNS. For a maybe $500 more you could have a match grade barrel and Vais muzzle brake installed that will rock your socks man. I'll post pics of my 111FCNS tonight when I have an opportunity.

Hope this helped some!

T

Me too. I looked at both the 111 LRH and the Sendero. In the end, I found a new pre-accustock 300 Win Mag with the accutrigger. My rationale is that I would take the $200 savings of not paying for the accustock and putting it into a stock more to my liking. So I bought a cheap Boyd's laminate stock, pillar/glass bedded the action and floated the barrel. I've got only about $550 in it. I rigged up a new Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 mil/mil FFP EMDR and I'm going to shoot it until I have decided what I want to do next. Don't get me wrong, I like the Sendero, but I got a lot of rifle plus a pretty decent set of optics for not much more money.

I'll probably eventually get a really nice tactical stock, time and true the action and put a heavier barrel on. Then again, this might be all the rifle I ever want in the 300 win mag. What I like about the Savage is that it can grow with you and you can spend money as you can building it up.

I've always been a Remington guy, but building on a Savage is a great way to go.

Last edited:
GARB72- I have a super grade and a sendero. get a sendero !! install a vais. adjust the trigger. put a good scope on it. i shoot very little factory ammo. my son got some free. federal with barnes bullets. tried it out of the sendero. shot in the ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.