Bustn Rockchucks On My Birthday!

yote doctor

Had a nice warm day here in MT with little wind. Just the right conditions for the 325-415 yard shots on these rascals. Wanted to show you a few that I reached out to that day.

Was a little surprised what the 95gr Berger from my 243 did to this guy at 328 yards. Did a couple backflips and landed 4 1/2 feet from where he had been sitting..... (Lower rock behind rifle)

Happy Shooting!!!!!
036.jpg

041.jpg

Man, doesn't get much better than that--shootin' rockchucks on your birthday! I used to take my son on a fishing/rockchuck shooting outing for his birthday every year. You're actually my kind of guy...screen name of Yote Doctor and a long range rockchuck shooter. :cool: Congrats on a good day.

I'm envious. I would almost rather hunt 'chucks than elk! I had a custom rifle built this winter for 1K yard whistle pigs. Here in CO these critters have a season, a bag limit, and because they are a valuable game animal we are required to dress and eat them. I have eaten a lot of them and they are actually pretty good. I've been thinking Utah and Wyoming, but I have a buddy in Kalispell I haven't seen for a couple years. I've just got to get out and bust some 'hogs this summer.
This is my previous longest shot, at 749 lasered yards with a Cooper .270. The new rifle is a 7mm Rem mag shooting 180 gr Berger VLD's at 2890 fps. Best long range group so far is 6" at 940 yards.

Attachments

• 749ydhog resize.jpg
    749ydhog resize.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 116
Oh Man!!! Birthday Chuck Bustin...sign me up!! Down here in south east Idaho a buddy and I take this sport pretty serious. We'll end up around 200 chucks between the two of us. Just set up my 22-250 to shoot longe range ( for a 250 ) I just smoked one the other day at 501. What a great chance to get out and practice long range shooting technique and skills in a hunting scenario. I've become a much better shot and with these small caliber's it is great practice for learning how to dope windage seeing how they are so sensitive. Keep laying the smack down on them rock dogs!!!

Congrats on the new rifles and the great shooting!

This property I was at is very populated with chucks. Second year there and not very spooky at all. Im going to start reaching out a bit. You could shoot out to 1k on few rock piles. 500-800 on most shots.

This 243 is the Savage 10 Predator Max 1. "Tac Driver" as you can see below.

08080019151.jpg

45gr of H4831SC
OAL 2.825
95gr Berger
Havent checked speed in a few years but I think it was around 3075 fps.
(3 shot group at 100)

To those who shoot chucks on a regular basis: I now know how you feel. I shot a few over the years but now having private land to hunt the claws are in.

Thanks guys, that was the most beautiful rifle I've ever owned. I had another in french walnut that was almost as nice. Problem was I just could not bring myself to rough up that pretty wood hunting. They both sold this winter and have been replace with a couple of custom stainless/synthetic hunting tools.
This one is a BAT/Kreiger/Jewell/Greybull/Schmidt Bender/7Rem/13lbs.
The other, Stiller/Satern/Jewell/Manners/270WSM/6.8lbs should arrive at the end of the week.

Attachments

• Rifle2resize.jpg
    Rifle2resize.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 106
Shame you sold. Maybe you could just hang it on the wall and drool over it for the rest of your days! lightbulb I know what you mean though. My first .204 was a Cooper Varminter. Certainly not as nice of wood as yours but it was still nerve racking to carry it in the field. I still have it but it's pretty much a bench gun.

(Sorry we're jacking your thread, yotedoctor.)

Thanks for asking, YD. I've been busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest the last couple of weeks. The sagerat hunts are in their prime right now. Had a couple of guys here today that made shots in the 650 yard range. Pretty darn good for a target that's about two inches wide! Fun stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts