Bushnell 4200 vertical adjustment issue

sxwatson

Just picked up a 4200 Elite Tactical 6-24x50. Really nice scope.

I checked the scope for "crabbing" at the range. (drift to the left or right when applying vertical adjustment to the scope.)

1. Zero'd scope at 100 yards.
2. Made up a target on cardboard that is basically like following Darrel Holland's article on Reticle Perpendicularity. (Catshooter actually wrote a much better article on scope mounting in general that I read on 6mmbr.com) Made sure when placing the target the vertical line was in fact vertical using a level.
3. Put two shots in a 1/2" circle I drew at bottom of cardboard target.
4. Came up 30 MOA (unfortunately all the vertical adjustment I can get out of it, need to offset a little more).
5. Fired again at same 1/2" target. Hit less than 1/4" right of vertical line. Repeated shot to verify results.
6. Tweaked scope slightly to the left and repeated until the shots were on the vertical line.

All was good and I was a happy camper. Then I decided to measure the distance from the 2 shots at the bottom of the target in the 1/2" circle up to the shots at the top. I came up 30 MOA which should be 31.41" at 100 yards. All 4 of the shots that were made at the top of the target were at 32.75". A difference of 1.34" or .446 extra MOA for every 10 MOA of rotation.

Does this all sound right? AM I doing something wrong?

If I did do everything right - Has anyone else experienced this with there scopes? Do you think I will be able to send this back to Bushnell to have it fixed or is this an acceptable amount of "slop" in the adjustment?

Scott

Last edited:
Scott was the 100 yard distance actually measured? If your target was 105 yards instead of 100 it would give you 32.98 inches instead of 31.41 inches. Just something to check before you send the scope back.

David

If its repeatable I wouldn't worry about it, just modify your drop charts and or Exbal to coincide with your scope adjustments. This is exactly why it is a good idea to check these things.

I also agree you should double check your yardage.

You guys are exactly right. The 100 yard line at my range is really 106 yards. Shot in a 500 yard F-class match today and it dialed right to 500 based on 12 moa per full rotation. Thanks for the sound advice.

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.