Bushmaster Varminter

I'm no expert at this but I believe that AI is simply straightning the case and increasing the shoulder angle so there should be no problem in using a factory barrel. However, if you are going to spend the cash on AI, you might think about purchasing a better barrel and having it chambered for the AI.

one other thing, if you are talking about a semi auto rifle, you should ask some people if they work w/ AI rounds without further adjustment. The straight case could lead to feeding problems. DPMS does offer a 300 SAUM in their AR rifles though.

The short answer is NO , you will end up with a chamber with excessive headspace , kinda like a short Gibbs chamber. Now this can be done if you single load your ammo and use specail loads to fireform you cases but I would recomend against it.

The the true Ackley Improved desgine is slightly shorter at the neck shoulder junction than the standard case , this is why some guys get worried when they first shoot factory ammo in the properly cut Ai chamber because the bolt takes a little pressure to close.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts