bushings for 300 rum question

älg

I know that in order to buy the proper bushings one needs to measure case neck diam, after firing, but I cant fire if i do not prepare the cases first.. so... which size bushings would you recomment for rem. brass??? Or will I have to fireform with some pistol loads and then measure and then order????

To be used with redding type S FL die.

Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
I know that in order to buy the proper bushings one needs to measure case neck diam, after firing

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, in order to best determine bushing size you need to measure LOADED case neck diameters. Fired necks don't tell you much as far as bushing size goes.

Mike dia. of a loaded round and order .002 to .003 under that dia. depending on how much neck tension you want.
db

I had the same problem - the "best guess" bushing was wrong and I'll not be using it again! So, yes you make a good point.

You can mike neck thickness if you have the right micrometer to do so, mike the bullet od and do the maths.

Or, borrow a die, or visit someone with one, and seat a bullet and measure od of the loaded round as recommended.

I speak under correction, but the "factory" spec for my .300 WM was around .340 recommended I think. I can check it if I can find the e-mail. If you ask the question at either Sinclair or Redding you should get a reply.

OK, loaded rounds ( rem. brass) with a 210 smk measure 0,3375 in. diameter.

Rem . brass neck thickness varies between 0.017 and 0.018.

So...

I would measure several of your Loaded rounds and then subtract a few thou ......
from what you have said then you have a .338 loaded neck diam. (.337 1/2)

then go with a .335 bushing

....this would give you about 2.5 thous neck tension...that being said on a very high recoil gun such as this you may want more neck tension but be careful ...too much and you got serious pressure issues...someone that has used a type s bushing die on a 300 ultra may want to comment on that one...good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.