Burris six scope owner opinions

coldhunt

I am looking for a 2-12x40 scope and see burris has one at a resonable price. For those that don't know Leupold is also bringing one out. I have a set of the burris signature select binos and when compared to a friend's swavorskis' the difference is not what I expected for the huge price difference. If you have the burris scope please give me your opinion. It will be mounted on a 300wsm.

I own/have owned several Burris scopes. All but 1 of my current rifles have a Burris mounted to it. They are bright, clear and tough. Very good to excellent for the money!

I owned a .300wsm a few yrs back and went with a Leuplod at the time. But after a few months of doing some serious shooting.....I just wasn't happy.

Sold that scope and gave Burris a shot and I'm sold....Although I may give Vortex a look on my next rifle??? Burris hasn't let me down!

Hope that helps...........
B

Thanks for the comment. I have a buddy who says much the same, and when I showed him that I can buy the 2x12 six for just over $600
he said I would have to spend at least 3 times as much to beat it. By looking around I am starting to think he may be right. I am going to put it on a new hunting build. 2x12-40 or so is the scope I want.

I sure would like to hear from a couple of others who have real experience
good or bad.

had a 2x12x50 30mm and it tracked well and was a decent scope but I was not overly impressed, optically it wasnt up to par but I normally shoot zeiss and valdada. think I would look into the zeiss conquest (much better optically) but its also a little more money. the nikons are hard to beat for the money and I would add the vortex in there as well.

I would like to be overly impressed in a 2x12 to 2.5x15 without spending 2k. I even looked at the Bushnell 2.5x16 but when I sent them an email to ask a question about their standard ballistics set up, they didn't seem to know or care what I was talking about. They must have some sort of ballistics that they model a ballistic type holdover scope to. I walk and hunt in the bush 2 is great. I will also sit in my tree stand or in the bush where I can view long range. Maybe I will wait till June and look at the leupold VX6 2x12 that`s coming out, VX6 is going to replace the VX7. I have a Nikon 2.5x10 on my old 30-06, nice scope for the money.

For the money I can't see anything else right now in a 2x12-40 to 44.
The retail is over $1000, and on now for just over $600. Normaly I would wonder about that, but I know alot of people don't mind paying for the name when it comes to scopes.

I recently discovered the Burris 2-12x50 with the German #4 lighted reticle in it and from what I could find written it looked like a good scope. I started looking around and did find some sitting in a store that the owner was interested in moving. Bad economy sure does help when looking for a deal. :D Anyhow the price was right and I bought several. Without going into a very long spiel about comparing one to a Swarovski Z6 I can say without a doubt that it's not a Swarovski but for roughly 1/4th the price it wouldn't be fair to think it would be. The bottom line in super low light and going into the dark where shooting wasn't possible the Burris held its own for being able to make a shot to within a couple of minutes of the Swarovski. Since most of us don't hunt at night (ala our Euro friends) I do not see any reason to spend $2500 on a lighted reticle Z6 Swarovski when the Burris will do everything that a reasonable hunter can probably do on his own and more so 'legally do'. Most places I hunt deer you can't hunt in the dark anyway so having a scope that could get you into more trouble hardly seems worthwhile.

The Swarovski was clearer and brighter toward the end of the daylight and of course Swarovski has a huge field of view that nobody in the scope world can come close to and that includes Zeiss. However on 2 power both the Swaro and the Burris picked up the barrel in the FOV. There is no doubt in my mind that the average legal hunter would be thrilled with the Burris. The weight is actually less than the Swarovski and the size is roughly the same also. Both have 30 mm tubes, 12.9" long, etc. The Burris weighs 19 ounces and the Swarovski weighs 19.8 ounces.

I noted the reference to the Leupolds earlier on. The one thing I found while researching the scopes is Leupold only has a 2 year warranty on their electronics. The Burris has a 5 year warranty on electronics. Even Swarovski only gives a 2 year warranty on electronics.

http://www.swarovskioptik.us/upload/media/media/34/Warranty_SONA[762].pdf

The other thing I really looked at is the complaints over the years about the red dot not being centered on a lot of scopes. Doesn't do much good to sight it in with the reticle and then the dot isn't where the bullet is going. On the Burris they figured out how to light up the center dot and that is it. Nothing else lights up or confuses the issue. Plus their reticle beams are very fine so in low light you don't have anything cluttering up the view other than the red dot in the middle which is also very small allowing for better shot placement than some that have the huge 'dots'.

I'm not going to get rid of my Swarovski but for somebody who wants an illuminated reticle I have to say that Burris did a heck of a job. And their warranty is 'forever' and makes no difference who owns the scope - just like Leupolds when it comes to glass and mechanics. I've got one mounted on a 270 and it will stay there. The only thing keeping me from changing out some other scopes is I like an even higher power range. 2-12 is good, 3-18 or 6-18 is more my style for hunting the mountains or plains for that matter.

Last edited:
Can anyone give a comment on Burris service as well. I have read in the past in some of the "rate this product" sections when searching the dealers for a good price, that Burris isn't quite there yet with initial quality control, such as dust inside etc, and slightly less than impresive service turnaround. When I read such things I do realise that these are a very small portion of the people who actualy buy. I probably just want to have a bit of champaign, for the price of a beer.

I've seen those comments as well over the years and at the same time the only Burris item I ever sent back was a set of Signature rings that were the turn-in/windage adjustable that didn't feel tight enough when twisted in. They sent me a new set, no questions asked.

I've owned several of their scopes over the years without ever having a problem and picked some up for friends over the years and they've had no complaints. It might be left over from the days when Burris first started, maybe their QC wasn't that good then?

I almost tend to think that some of that critiscm might be coming from a few Leupold owners who want to push their scope ahead of Burris. The leupold bunch is convinced (for the most part anyway) that their scopes are the absolute best in the world.

Personally I don't own a Leupold any longer at all and do not see one in my future unless some things really do change there. Their FOV has been horrible as well as the 'tunnel' or 'pipe' look gets old. That's purely my complaint and obviously millions of other folks don't feel that way. They are a great company though and do stand behind their products so I'll give them that in a heartbeat. I was reading a bit on their new 6x and it appears they might have a good FOV going on that one. I will look at them when I get a chance to see one. Never know what tomorrow holds.

Thanks for the info thechamp. I know leupold has good service, but with some reading and price comparisons, I also think that for the most part they are over priced for their quality, which tells me that they have been very good at brand marketing. I just want to get it right without spending over 2 k. My nikon monarch is a tough as nails, but they don't seem to have what I want. I am very impressed with it when I compare quality to price. There must be someone other than Burris, Swarovski, and Leupold that have seen the desire for 6x zoom. Maybe I just need to search a bit more, but Burris is starting to look better all the time.

You're right about the marketing. Leupold is as American as apple pie and homemade ice cream! They are everywhere and they have enough lines to be able to sell to the novice and the hunter desiring a better scope with more features, magnification, etc. Our local gun shops stock Leupold and very little of anything else. And that's particularly true when it comes to rings and bases!

You see a few other scopes but mostly they're the low end stuff, Simmons, Bushnells (the cheap Bushnells), BSAs and others along those lines. So obviously the average hunter isn't left with much choice and when they want to buy a 'good scope' the clerk gives them a 3.5-10 Leupold, retails around $350-$400 and pronounces it a great scope. They've got the market cornered and not many of those folks go to the trouble to even look beyond what they're offered. Last few years after Weaver started making some really good low to midrange scopes they started showing up. Again it was an old name with marketing appeal since their Dad had a Weaver when they were kids. BTW Weaver did put out some good scopes for the money and an excellent warranty to go with them. Along that same line Leupold decided to bring back their old nemesis Redfield as their own.

I hunted with a Leupold 6-20 for many a year. Took a lot of deer with it. Never thought I was missing anything and for the most part was able to see what I needed to. Wasn't until later that I could afford a Swarovski and life has never been the same again...lol

Off the top of my head I don't recall seeing anyone else in the 6x world other than the ones you named. If I see something I'll add it here.

Thanks again for your info and comments. I won't buy a leupold now, unless it's darn inexpensive, don't realy want to spend the money for a swarovski, and am still a bit concerned about burris. maybe I might just give up on the idea of the 6x, and get another monarch in a 3-12.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.