Burris signature rings?

JMUPT

I have a 204 ruger with a burris signature select scope on it and I'm bottomed out on my windage adjustment. I have a weaver 1 piece base so there's no room for adjustment there, but my question is can I use the offset insert set for the rings to correct this issue. I'm thinking that since one half of the ring is thicker than the other I will not be able to put them on the sides of the scope tube without some sort of gap or issue. Has anyone used these with success to correct a out of windage adjustment, or should I go with 2 piece standard base and use the rear base to do the course adjustment. Any help would be great.

yes , the burris rings with the inserts will help correct your windage problem. the inserts can be used in any position . for a 1 inch scope , buy the rings and also a set of offset inserts.the set includes a .005 , .010 , .020 . you could need two sets depending on how much correction you need . the 30mm rings come with standard inserts , and I think , the only offset insert available . Jim

Thanks for the advice, I already have the inserts just didn't have time to try it. All my stuff is at my families farm, so if I needed to go another route I wanted to have it before I go back up there.

BTW, what model rifle do you have? I suspect either the barrel is installed crooked, or the bore is not straight, or both. Have you checked alignment of the barrel in the receiver with a straight edge (12" steel ruler would work)?

you say it's your windage that is bottomed out... so that means you'd have to put the eccentric ring halves in turned 90 degrees.

you could have a bad weaver base, base screw holes drilled off axis, or as bruce mentioned the barrel may not be straight with the receiver.

Just to be on the safe side, put another scope on the rifle. If the erector spring breaks inside the scope, you'll get a "bottomed out windage" symptom.

Does the point of impact move at all when you turn the windage turret? In other words, did it almost move to the center but then ran out of clicks?

one other question... does your scope have that "Posi-Lock" knob on it that locks the crosshairs? If it does... be sure it's loosened before zeroing the scope. :)

My savage is a model 12 VLP, I've had it for a number of year and it's had the same scope on it since day one the rifle shoots great and when you adjust the windage or elevation it moves where it should. I was shooting my new steel plate for the first time the other week at 500yds and I was hitting the right hand side of the plate so I went to adjust the windage and had nothing left. I hate to mess with the rifle since it shoots so well, I just thought that the offset inserts may be a simple fix for the problem.

To answer Bruce and Green, I haven't checked the barrel or bore alinement, or looked at the reciever or base holes. I suspect thats where my problem lies, the scope seems to be working fine. I have the rifle sighted in and have put around 500 rounds throught it over the years, it was just when I was shooting at 500yds that I wanted to adjust for the wind and couldn't.

The higher you dial the elevation (for 500 yards, say), the less windage room you will have in your scope.

As the erector moves up to accommodate your longer distance shot, it moves to a narrower part of the scope tube (between 10 and 2 o'clock, say, rather than 9 and 3 o'clock). This might explain why you have enough windage at the 100 yard zero, but not enough at 500.

I wouldn't try to solve this problem with burris inserts... I would get a Redfield style (traditional) windage adjustable rear base and conventional rings. Center the windage on the scope by counting clicks to each extreme, then half back to center... then use the screws on the Redfield/Leupold style windage adjustable base to bring rough windage in line.

Finish up with fine tuning windage using the turret...

Dan

JMUPT , being you already have the burris rings and offset inserts I'd use them . I see no difference of trying to compensate for this with a offset ring bushing or an adjustable base . Jim

Jim,

You could be right... but I was thinking he'd have more adjustment possibilities, since his windage is off, with the Redfield style base...

With the Burris eccentrics, he could put a +20 MOA insert on one side, and a -20 on the other... but that may not center the scope all that well, he may still end up dialing in a lot of windage to get it on target.

Anyway... that's what I was thinking, and why I suggested what I did.

The eccentric offset kit is around 20 dollars. I don't think he already has the eccentrics, just the original +/- 0 inserts.

Aesthetically, the rifle will look better as well with the Redfield base. With the offset Burris inserts, installed at 90 degrees from normal position, while it would work, it would leave the split between the inserts visible, at 12 o'clock on the rear ring.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts