Burris Signature Rings Not up to 338 Rum

D.Camilleri

So,

I have been chasing accuracy problems and have been limited to around 700 yards with my custom 338 rum. I posted a question and got a great answer from D.ID in that he told me he had the same problem with consistancy and he replaced his Burris Signature rings and the problem went away.

So, I ordered a picatinny rail with 20 moa and a set of Burris Tactical Rings and promtly shot the best group at 700 yards I have ever shot. Last night, I went out with a friend and set up at 1241 yards and engaged a 55 gallon barrel with a 8x11 paper target on it. We had about a 5 mph wind from the north, so I dialed my elevation from my Nightforce program on my palm pda and also dialed 2 moa for wind and let fly with a 300 grain Berger Hybrid @2850 out of my 27 3/8 inch Broughton 5 C barrel. My buddy spotted and 1st shot was perfect for elevation, but not enough wind compensation. I held about 1/2 moa more wind and this shot was again good on elevation and just missed the barrel. 3rd time is a charm, a full moa more wind and let her fly and the Berger found her spot 3 inches from the 1 inch bullseye at 1241 yards. This is my personal best and to say the least, I am elated. I could have never done this if I wasn't given the insight to abandon the Signature series rings on this beast of a gun. The combination of the fairly heavy Sightron SIII 8-32x56 and the heavy recoil is just too much for those rings. There was no indication on the scope that it was moving, but it was. New rings and the accuracy and consistancy is now going to allow me to keep stretching the yardage.

I wanted to pass this info on to save someone else the frustration that I went through. Thanks again D.ID

Good to know. I have had them on Win Mag and similar powered guns and haven't seen issues but nothing larger. I have heard rumors of this but haven't seen anything in person.

What poundage were you torquing the rings to?

Scot E.

I was torquing to 20 inch pounds. They were tight and clean and showed no evidence of moving. Funny thing is they would move and then next time I would shoot, they were back to where they were before. Weird!

I love my Burris Tactical Rings on my set-up. I have them on my Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW. I also have a 20 MOA EGW for the picatinny rail. The scope in the rings is a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle which I absolutely love.

Are these rings the ones with the inserts? I had previously used Burris xtr rings and switched to the signature zee rings (ones with the inserts). It took all my problems away with scope moving. This was on a 338 edge with a nightforce nxs on top. I had even lapped the xtr rings to try and stop the scope from moving but that didn't help either.

Sorry to hear that they didn't work for you.

I've had them on several rifles including my Rem 700 LSS 338RUM with my old Weaver Tactical FFP. No movement ever.

My buddy has them on his 338 Edge with a Nightforce.

So,

I have been chasing accuracy problems and have been limited to around 700 yards with my custom 338 rum. I posted a question and got a great answer from D.ID in that he told me he had the same problem with consistancy and he replaced his Burris Signature rings and the problem went away.

To bad the the Signature rings didn't work out for you, I have been using them for a while on my .338 EDGE A.I. & 300 grainers with no problems.

One thing that you have to do with the signature rings is be sure to get the inserts to sit in the ring correctly. They are fitted to fit just right and it is possible to get them offset and when you tighten them down you aren't getting full holding strength.

Not saying that is what happened with you just an FYI for others reading this.

Scot E.

So,

So, I ordered a picatinny rail with 20 moa and a set of Burris Tactical Rings and promtly shot the best group at 700 yards I have ever shot. Last night, I went out with a friend and set up at 1241 yards and engaged a 55 gallon barrel with a 8x11 paper target on it. We had about a 5 mph wind from the north, so I dialed my elevation from my Nightforce program on my palm pda and also dialed 2 moa for wind and let fly with a 300 grain Berger Hybrid @2850 out of my 27 3/8 inch Broughton 5 C barrel. My buddy spotted and 1st shot was perfect for elevation, but not enough wind compensation. I held about 1/2 moa more wind and this shot was again good on elevation and just missed the barrel. 3rd time is a charm, a full moa more wind and let her fly and the Berger found her spot 3 inches from the 1 inch bullseye at 1241 yards. This is my personal best and to say the least, I am elated. I could have never done this if I wasn't given the insight to abandon the Signature series rings on this beast of a gun. The combination of the fairly heavy Sightron SIII 8-32x56 and the heavy recoil is just too much for those rings. There was no indication on the scope that it was moving, but it was. New rings and the accuracy and consistancy is now going to allow me to keep stretching the yardage.

I wanted to pass this info on to save someone else the frustration that I went through. Thanks again D.ID

Thank you for sharing!!

I would have never figured this out if it wasn't for D.ID having the same problem. By looking at the rings and scope, you couldn't tell this was happening. I can't really explain what was happening with the exception that my poi was changing and was unpredictable and it was only showing up at long range. All I can say for sure is that since I have gone to the tactical rings and picatinny rail, the problem is gone and I have almost doubled my range with predictable results.

I am not trying to say anything bad about the burris signature rings with the inserts, just that they weren't handling the recoil from my gun. I wouldn't hesitate to put them on my 300 rum, but it hardly kicks.

I use the Burris Extreme Tactical rings on about everything 1" and 30mm and they are great. I always lap them. On my 35mm tube scopes I use V-Tac steel rings.

Not that I know of. Like you said in a earlier post while tightening down the rings it's important to keep the insert in the center of the ring. Even though people say not to I've always used a small amount of red lock tite instead or blue. I've never had a problem looseing the torx or allen screws when needed, it is pretty tight when loosening but not problem and no threat to stripping and I have even had some come loose before with the red loc tite. Also the last time I tightened them it was by hand and I figure all the rings are torqued a little over 20 lbs or so. What is the standard on ring torque 18 I.P. ? Also I'm in the market for a new torque wrench what are my choices borka or wheeling engeneering?

Chase

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.