Burris Mount Question

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by C.O. Shooter, Oct 2, 2012.

1. C.O. Shooter

C.O. Shooter Well-Known Member

I have Burris bases and rings on both my 270 WBY MAG and 300 Ultra. My 270 does not have a scope on it, however, seriously considering carrying it for the upcoming bear season. I am looking at taking the scope off my 300 and putting it on the 270. I know the bases are rifle specific, however, the dovetail aspect of the rings should be the same correct? They are dovetail in the front and the screw in the back. I don't want to undo the rings from the scope. I know it would be easier to buy a new scope, however, my extra money is tied up in my current build. Any thoughts.

2. bruce_ventura

bruce_ventura Well-Known Member

Using your scope to twist the front dovetail loose or into position is a bad idea. Many folks have found out the hard way how easy it is to bend a scope tube doing this.

Why can't you remove the scope and use a broom handle to twist the dovetail?

3. C.O. Shooter

C.O. Shooter Well-Known Member

I guess I didn't think about it like that!

4. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

I learned a hard lesson on this. I bent a Sightron scope with Burris Sig rings, by using the scope to swivel them 90 degrees. The dimple was small, and I later sold the scope. Now, I use my 1" or 30mm scope lapping tool to turn the rings. Tighten up the screws, and its an easy todo.