Burris Mount Question

C.O. Shooter

I have Burris bases and rings on both my 270 WBY MAG and 300 Ultra. My 270 does not have a scope on it, however, seriously considering carrying it for the upcoming bear season. I am looking at taking the scope off my 300 and putting it on the 270. I know the bases are rifle specific, however, the dovetail aspect of the rings should be the same correct? They are dovetail in the front and the screw in the back. I don't want to undo the rings from the scope. I know it would be easier to buy a new scope, however, my extra money is tied up in my current build. Any thoughts.

Using your scope to twist the front dovetail loose or into position is a bad idea. Many folks have found out the hard way how easy it is to bend a scope tube doing this.

Why can't you remove the scope and use a broom handle to twist the dovetail?

Using your scope to twist the front dovetail loose or into position is a bad idea. Many folks have found out the hard way how easy it is to bend a scope tube doing this.

I guess I didn't think about it like that!

I learned a hard lesson on this. I bent a Sightron scope with Burris Sig rings, by using the scope to swivel them 90 degrees. The dimple was small, and I later sold the scope. Now, I use my 1" or 30mm scope lapping tool to turn the rings. Tighten up the screws, and its an easy todo.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.