burris eliminator laserscope review

dogdinger

Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single
I do a little gun work for friends . Nothing real serious, mounting scopes, help sighting in , a little custom reloading etc. A friends son puchased a burris eliminator laserscope and i mounted it and sighted/calibrated it for him. I did not do what you would call a fullfledged scope test due to not wanting to shoot that much 300 RUM ammo, but did give it a pretty thorough test drive.

For starters it was mounted on a Rem 700 SS laminate in 300 RUM. I took the gun apart first and fine tuned the trigger from a hefty 8lb pull to a reasonable 3 1/2 lbs. I then boresighted it , then test fired. first shot was on paper @ 200 yds. got it zeroed with 4 shots. scope seemed to track well. The calibration charts showed a 34" drop @ 500 yds with the type ammo he had, but i know from experience at this altitude it is more likee 22 inches. 25 seems to be the lowest that the scope can be set for, so that is where i set it.
The way the scope works is, you put the crosshairs on your target and push the rangefinder button and the scope automatically gives you the range and an aiming point with a little red dot on the vertical crosswire.
After sighting and calibrating i moved it to the 500 yd target......dead center......then the 650 yd target....dead center.....next the 800 yd. The rangefinder read the range but it would not give an aiming point at that range. It would not range past 800.
While i was shooting, a nice speed goat decided to come over and help out to see if it would range something with hair on it. He pranced across my range starting @ about 480yds, quartering away, taking his time. This allowed me to range him all the way out to 729 yds, getting good readings and aiming points each time. this was during full daylight/bright sun. I used to have a hard time with a leica 1200 ranging goats anywhere past 500 yds in the same kind of conditions.
All in All this scope seemed to perform as advertised out to the 700 yard mark. For a novice/beginner to longrange shooting, (which this kid is) this may be just the ticket. I was quite impressed with the results. I still have the gun here if anyone wants to ask any specific questions or have me check other things.
The price on the box is $869.95, which is cheaper than you could purchase a high end scope and a 800 yd rangefinder. AJ

First real hands on report I have seen on this scope Thank you for your honest opinion.

Now for me personally - I just can't get it through my thick skull to rely on a battery in my scope for some reason - while I've become dependent on a battery in a hand held range finder for the last 10 years.

Do you need to have a battery to use it as a normal scope without the rangefinder function? I thought it would have worked as a scope without a battery just lose the ranging ability.

yes, the scope works without the battery, just no electronics. The paperwork says that it has an internal "memory" battery that saves your calibration if the battery dies. it also has a battery strength indicator in the eyepiece that you see when you look through it. directions say it is good for appr. 5000 ranges Battery replacement is easy, about like a swaro RF. it has the same battery as the swaro also. AJ

the kid came and picked up his rifle today. as i was showing him how everything worked i noticed that the scope ranged and gave a aiming point @ 800 yds so i took a shot with it just to test.......it was right on the mark. The sun was still a little low in the sky at the time.....about 10 am. might have made a difference. Ranged speedgoats @ 654yds again. AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts