Burris Eliminator III Scope Review

lightbulb

For those individuals interested. I feel Burris will soon release a Eliminator V after the first of the year 2015. Currently in the field testing stages; you will hear more at the upcoming shot show. My prediction is increased Magnification possibly 6x24x50, a Bubble level and more POI indicators.

That is my prediction and I am looking forward to seeing it become reality.:D
ODAVID

Last edited:
I have heard really good things about the later models.

My only concern is that if your range-finder fails where does that leave you with your scope??? I'm on my second range-finder and the original NF I have is still going strong so not sure what I and or anybody else thinks about that?

You still have a scope that has various dots for your bullet drop and windage. They just won't light up. I wouldn't trade mine for anything else out there.

The concern about the laser rangefinder is valid. And not even it just dying all together, as all of us know who use them they are not always reliable in the field, even rangefinders that cost more than the Eliminator does have issues with dust and fog screwing with the readings, So as much as I like the new tech, ballistic calculators have made things alot easier, I still make sure I have laminated charts and am able to get range, estimate drop and read the wind without any electronics. Because they can and do fail.

IF you guys with the Eliminators have had any experiences with the rangefinder being stumped by fog or dust, or just plain issues with range Id like to hear about it, Or if the opposite is true Id like to hear it as well

As I am sure you read in my review, I have been very impressed with the Eliminator III rangefinder. During the review it outperformed my Leica 1600 in light to medium rain to ranges out past 1000 yards. The main benefits to me of the scope mounted laser range finder are simple. One less thing to carry (rangefinder) and since it is on your long range platform, it is MUCH more stable to hold on target and range. If I am excited or winded I struggle to range an animal past 500 yards with my Leica or Swarovski, but it is normally one push of the button with my bipod out and stick supported for an accurate range. And yes, all electronics can fail, but mine is still going strong. Time will tell

Not to beat a dead horse on "praise" of this scope, but I was able to take a very nice 10 point on the last Sat of deer season here in NC. I had planned to coyote hunt, so I brought along my 6x47 with 105 a max's, and the scope was the Eliminator III. About 8 am I saw a doe come out at 318 yards, and she was acting very jumpy. The six deer closer to me did not pay her much mind, so I felt she was not in danger, but running from a rutting buck. Over the last three years, I have had this same event occur once each season. Like in the past, the doe would come out and stand for a couple of seconds, flip her tail and run off of the shooting lane. Immediately following her would be a large main frame 8 (two years ago) or 10 (last year), but he would not stop on the path and only be visible for about 2 seconds while he crossed the small path. Hoping this was a repeat performance, I put the cross hairs on the doe and ranged her. As the amber dot glowed, she ran left and he followed close behind, but quartering away, giving me just a little more time. I lead him with the amber dot and squeezed the trigger just before he disappeared into the woods...but I saw him arch and lift his tail....Long and short of it, he was laying 10 yards off the trial. Would I have been able to make this shot with one of my other customs with a non-rangefinder NF or other scope? I would like to think I could, but I can tell you it was really nice to have the glowing amber dot to take some of my concern of POI out at the moment of truth.

For deer hunting it is great.....For coyote hunting it is indispensable...I seldom have time to see, range and then dope and acquire in the scope...with the Eliminator III, it eliminates all those steps to, see, push and shoot.

Thank you Burris for a great product. I cant wait for the next new model, and I hope I get to take one through its paces.

Roger

I have the original Eliminator and was thinking of getting the Eliminator III, but hell now I think I will wait for the latest one.

I also have the original Eliminator and felt the same way you did and decided to wait.

That is until I found a practically brand new unit on a Classifieds forum for $675 shipped!

I made sure it was the Eliminator III and it definitely is. I am stoked and kind of feel like I just hit the lottery.

The E3 mounted on my Cooper 6.5X.284 Norma shooting Berger 140 VLD is the most lethal combination that I have hunted with in my 55 years of hunting big game.

I harvested a mule deer and two antelope with in in 2013 and in 2014 was fortunate enough to get an Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail and two Antelope hunting Montana and Wyoming.

All one shot kills, all between 280 and 400 yards. Not terribly long shots but made possible in fast failing light by the speed in which I was able to acquire the target, hit the button and take the shot. No more ranging with the range finder,worrying about angles, dialing up the turrets, etc. Also, importantly, the illuminated red dot is a god send when shooting time is coming to an end.

I believe that any experienced hunter who gives it a fair test with be impressed.

Only negatives are: 1- It is a little heavy and makes the rifle feel a little top heavy and you need to control the tendency for it to want to "flop over".

2- Purely ashetics, in that it looks large and detracts from the beartiful lines of the Cooper Rifle.

In practice at unknown distance, I was able to put a shot on new steel target installed at our club range, that I was later informed was at 690 yards. Awsome!

Good Hunting

Can someone tell me the size of 1/3 MOA illuminated aiming dot is at 100 yds, 400yds, 750 yds and 1000 yds??

I think but not sure 100 yds is about 1inch, but not sure of the other values.

Thanks in advance
ODAVID

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.