Burris Eliminator III...For Extreme Long-Range Shooting

ELR Researcher

I received the below "info blurb" just before the start of SHOT Show 2012. I wonder what you folks think of this updated product (spec -wise, since it won't be available until mid-year). Thanks.

NOTE: I would have posted the pics but they are in the e-mail I received and there is nothing about the III product on the Burris website. The "current" product website is Eliminator

New Eliminator III Offers Extreme Accuracy

For Extreme Long-Range Shooting

GREELEY, Colo. (January 17, 2012)— Burris, the unequivocal expert in ballistic laser scopes with automated trajectory compensation, introduces the new Eliminator III. This next-generation laser scope provides expert shooters with a level of sophistication only imaginable before now.

The Eliminator III features a sleek, new design that is similar to traditional riflescopes yet still incorporates state of the art electronics. Other improvements include new ergonomic activation buttons and parallax adjustment from 50 yards to infinity.

Rob Siemers, Burris Company general manager, said, "With the new Eliminator III, we have defined the next generation of modern riflescopes that incorporate technology and electronics with optical design. As the leader in this category, we are excited about the potential these new products will offer to hunters and long-range shooters."

The current Eliminator's split-second, automatic trajectory compensation technology has provided shooters with the invaluable ability to place ethical shots on target within seconds, which dramatically extends a shooter's confidence and ability in the field. Now, the new Eliminator III with its X96 reticle technology provides even more accuracy, more range and a method of windage compensation. All of these elements have been perfected and are available at the push of a button at any magnification.

To achieve even greater accuracy at ranges from 750 to 1,200 yards, the Eliminator III features enhanced the ballistic programming. With the Eliminator III, the shooter enters not only the amount of drop at 750 yards for bullet and load he is shooting, but the ballistic coefficient (BC) for the chosen bullet, as well. The scope can be programmed for more than 1,500 commercially available loads.

An essential element in the Eliminator III is the new X96 reticle, which provides a convenient and accurate method to compensate for wind. Wind compensation is NOT fully automated within the scope; the digital readout displays a 10 MPH Wind Value for the shooter's specific cartridge at the ranged as a "Dot Value." The X96 reticle features several dots on each side of the vertical post. These Dots serve as references to the shooter to precisely hold into the wind. The shooter still needs to estimate the cross-wind value himself and also needs to convert the 10MPH Wind Value displayed to the appropriate value for the estimated actual MPH cross-wind value. The shooter then holds into the wind the appropriate "Dot Value" as shown below in the illustration below.

The Eliminator III will retail for $1,499 and will be available at retailers in July.

Founded in 1972 and headquartered in Greeley, Colo., the Burris Company offers a complete line of premium optics which includes riflescopes for hunting, competition, law enforcement and military; handgun scopes; binoculars; spotting scopes; mounts and accessories. For more information, write to the Burris Company, 920 54th Avenue, Ste. 200, Greeley, CO 80634. For detailed product information, visit the company website at www.burrisoptics.com. Visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BurrisOptics.

# # #

Eliminator III Specifications:
Length (Inches) 15.75 (max)
Weight (oz) 26
Actual Magnification (low) 4X
Actual Magnification (high) 16X
Field of View (Low/High at 100 yards) 25' - 7'
Adjustable Parallax (yards) 50 - Infinity
Laser Performance (yards reflective) 1200+
Laser Performance (yards deer) 750+
Battery Life 5000 cycles
Reticle Plane 2nd plane
Adjustment Click Value 1/4 MOA
Eye Relief (minimum range) 3.5" - 4.0"
Waterproof yes
Fogproof yes
Shockproof yes
Temperature Function 0 - 140 °F

I think its a great concept, just curious to see if the rangefinder is going to limit the scopes ability. I am not going to buy the first one that is for sure.

I think its a great concept, just curious to see if the rangefinder is going to limit the scopes ability. I am not going to buy the first one that is for sure.

Same here, but I had discounted them before, but this one has my attention. They are getting more refined & starting to look like a scope. I am interested in how they hold up to hard use. I am not ready to buy one, but closer.

No doubt it's an improvement over the original Burris Eliminator. I hope they don't make you pick from a list of cartridges and bullets. All it needs is two numbers, muzzle velocity and the appropriate bullet ballistic coefficient. They've adapted a linear grid reticle system similar to Horus Vision's. They don't say if the dots are mils or moa or what, not that it matters. I don't see where it says how fine the vertical dot resolution is. The old one only had about ten dots. Ok for a few hundred yards on large game.

The wind correction feature is (maybe) better than nothing. You still have to measure or guess the local wind velocity and direction component and the scope doesn't have a clue what the wind conditions might be between the shooter and the target.

I'll keep my Horus scope, Leica rangefinder, and Kestrel/Atrag computer for now. At least Burris is trying to integrate environment/range/wind measurements which can't be said for Leupold, Nightforce, S&B, etc etc.

Of course if they do get it all the necessary corrections automated hunting will become no more of a sport than killing cattle with a hammer in a feed lot.

Thing is, Burris customer service sucks. I wrote a letter to Rob Siemers not long ago and the d-bag never had the professionalism to respond. Buy up suckers, just hope you don't have a problem with their junk...

No doubt it's an improvement over the original Burris Eliminator. I hope they don't make you pick from a list of cartridges and bullets. All it needs is two numbers, muzzle velocity and the appropriate bullet ballistic coefficient. They've adapted a linear grid reticle system similar to Horus Vision's. They don't say if the dots are mils or moa or what, not that it matters. I don't see where it says how fine the vertical dot resolution is. The old one only had about ten dots. Ok for a few hundred yards on large game.

Great comments. I don't see how just MV and BC would work (no bullet weight?), but regardless the eliminator lets you input your actual drop in inches. Either calculated or better yet via actual range testing. So nope, you don't have to pick your cartridge from a list. You punch in your 500 yard drop (100 yard zero) and BC.

No idea what the dot resolution is. The old Eliminator was 0.33 MOA.
70 vertical dots per Burris HQ. Just got off the phone with them.

I'll keep my Horus scope, Leica rangefinder, and Kestrel/Atrag computer for now. At least Burris is trying to integrate environment/range/wind measurements which can't be said for Leupold, Nightforce, S&B, etc etc.

Of course if they do get it all the necessary corrections automated hunting will become no more of a sport than killing cattle with a hammer in a feed lot.

Well everyone has to decide what's sporting to them. I know a few guys here have 30+ lb bench rifles on permanent benches in blinds overlooking feed lots.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.