Bullets & Twist Rates

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Cordell, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Cordell

Cordell Well-Known Member

I am looking to change the bullets I use in my 300 RUM. I was using Hornady SST's since it was set up to NOT be used closer than 500 yards on game, that has now changed. Not sure which bullet to use. I was on Berger's sight and they recomend 1-12 twist for the 185 and 190 VLD's, and a 1-11 on the 210's.

I am not looking to swap out my barrle. It does not have an extended box magazine, and I am thinking about having one put in to aid in bullet choice.

Anyone had experiance with the 190gr VLD's in a stock Remington 300 RUM with a 1-10 twist? This is my main hunting rifle at this time and need it to be capable of take game from close range (100-->300 yards) out to the 1200 flbs-->1600 flbs range for clean kills.

Any help will help me in this "quest".lightbulb

2. 7mmrowland

7mmrowland Well-Known Member

Posted twist rates are stabilization minimum.

3. Stormrider

Stormrider Well-Known Member

If you want to shoot the 210VLD's go for it. They'll shoot just fine in 1/10.

4. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

How did the SST perform <500 yards?

Thanks.

Ed

5. Cordell

Cordell Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input fellas i will see what the Bergers do in my RUM.

The SST's hit every thing i ever aimed at, Rocks and the like :( Never had a chance to take a deer or Elk with the SST's though. Sorry not able to give you any first hand info on there performance. I just gave away my last 40 or so SST rounds to some one who has a 300 Win. I have 8 still loaded and will most likly just pull them....... unless you would like me to "test" them out on some wet news print. I would be more than happy to do that.

6. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offer but no need for the test. I have a couple of boxes of factory loaded 225g SSTs in .338WM to test and was just wondering. Thanks again.

Ed