Bullets make or break a rifle

Tnwhip

I have a 308 Rem 700 SPS Varmint. I have not shot it much. Killed one deer with it. It will shoot the factory Federal 150 Power Shok pretty good around 1" at 100 yds. I decided to work up a load and test my new MagnetoSpeed against my old Pro Chrono. I started a latter test at 100 yds with 150 sst. Very disapointing. Then tryed 165 sst better but no cigar. Then tryed the 178 Amax. Now we are getting some where. The 150 sst suck in this rifle. The next time I will go out to 200 and 300 yds. and see what it does. I will narrow the load down at those ranges. 300 is as far as I can get till the crops are out this fall. 150sst4.jpg

165 SST.jpg

178 A-max.jpg

I think being a SPS Varmint, you have a 26" 1:12 twist, correct? If so, try some Berger 185 VLD's or 190 VLD's.

1 in 12 should shoot the lightweights better, but just goes to show you why we do what we do!! I commend TNWHIP for your test. My old 308 PSS used to love Varget and the 168 MatchKing, as do most 1-10 twist 308.

The AMAX are very accurate bullets, once you find what works in tour rifle, buy a bunch !!! look at the Ballistic Tip too always a tackdriver in my 7mm-08

How do you like the Magneto vs. the Pro Chrono?? lightbulb

Yea being that it is a 1-12 and it shot the cheep federal 150 power shok so good I thought it should shoot the 150 SST but noooooooooooooooooooooo I have had several boxs of them and was wanting to use them. I will have to just shoot them up in my FAL. They shoot OK in it but it's not a tack driver anyway. The 178s seem to be working pretty good. I even tried some 168 fmj and they shot twice as good as the 150s. I may try some 175smk. 180 GK and 180 accubonds at a later date. I shoot 162 A max in my 280 Ackley so I know what the A maxes will do on game.

How did the Pro Chrono measure up to the MagnetoSpeed?

Perhaps in another thread, but I'd be interested in the comparison...

How did the Pro Chrono measure up to the MagnetoSpeed?

Perhaps in another thread, but I'd be interested in the comparison...

It was over 100 fps difference. One was over 800. Here is a target that I shot at 200 yds with different loads 165 sst

Attachments

• 165 SST 200 yds.jpg
    165 SST 200 yds.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 97
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.