BULLETS AND MOOSE SHOULDER

gettheleadout

Does anyone know what effect a Barnes Triple Shock bullet will have on the shoulder bones of a moose ? It will be a 180 gr. out of a .300 Weatherby mag going about 3000fps. Will it break it, go through it and do further damage, drop the moose or anything else you can think of ?? thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I use a 300 WBY with 180gr accubonds on moose with ease so the Barnes x should just devistate the shoulder of a moose, especially at that velocity. If the accuracy is OK, go with it.

i once shot a large canadian moose in the shoulder blade with a 30-06/150 partition.bullet was under the hide on the far side.a 180 barnes out of a whby should be more than enough. what i usually did was shoot em in the head or top of neck, the target is as big as a small deer!

It seems to me that the Barnes bullets like hitting bone. I've killed two elk with the 168 gr XLC's out of a 300 Wby (quite a few years ago). Both Bullets were recovered under the skin on the far side of animal. The one on the left (see below) went through a lot of flesh, but no bone, on a quartering away shot from about 200 yards. The one on the right went through some serious bone, like more than just a shoulder shot, from about 400 yards. I'll leave out the details on the shot placement on this one, but for the record the elk was dropped in its tracks.

normal_DSCF0086.JPG

normal_DSCF0087.JPG

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know what effect a Barnes Triple Shock bullet will have on the shoulder bones of a moose ? It will be a 180 gr. out of a .300 Weatherby mag going about 3000fps.

[/ QUOTE ]

A very NASTY effect!....for the moose that is! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know what effect a Barnes Triple Shock bullet will have on the shoulder bones of a moose ? It will be a 180 gr. out of a .300 Weatherby mag going about 3000fps. Will it break it, go through it and do further damage, drop the moose or anything else you can think of ?? thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've shot 9 or 10 moose with a 300Wby (can't remember exactly, as I've shot quite a few all in all), and although I didn't use any of Barnes bullets at the time, neither the Trophy Bonded or Swift A-Frames I used had any problem. And from what I know of Barnes bullets, I have no doubt that your Barnes Triple Shock will be just fine with penetration. Granted, the moose we shoot in Norway are slightly smaller than the ones found in NA. But not enough to make a differance.

However, you will find that a bullet at that speed will create an inordinate amount of meat damage on a moose that is closer then 150-200 meters. At least that was my experiance.

Thus, I ended up selling the 300wby, and going over to usually using a 375H&H on moose. Since very few of our shots are longer than 200 meters, this works just fine.

If your shots are often longer than 200 meters, a 300Wby sounds good to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.