BulletFlight or Ballistics for Ipod Touch

DoubleGobble00

Both of these ballistic calculators look great. I was just curious to see if anyone has compared the two of them or which one is the best. I have Exbal on my computer but want something for the Ipod Touch to carry in the field. Has there been any comparisons made? How well do they match up to Exbal?

Thanks,

DoubleG

I have both on mine... KAC BulletFlight and Ballistic FTE (Field Tactical Edition).

If you want to play 'what if' and while away the time in the carpool to work or in the elevator or in a meeting ;) Ballistic has lots more options for graphing and comparing multiple loads. If you want something that you can do a paperless range log in, Ballistic works great for that too. The interface for getting a load into the HUD (heads up display) w/ the rollers is a bit of a bother, though. Not hard, but the very last step for saving the name of the load has gone awry on me more than once, and then its start all frickin' over again... depending on the level of customization/tweaking you did, that might be more or less frustrating.

Bulletflight has far fewer options. You save things by rifle, not by load. If you use two loads in one gun, you'll have to save things accordingly. It's more stream lined in operation - for me. Open it up, select a rifle/load, hit 'Calculate Simple' and you're off and rocking w/ the HUD and the rollers. This assumes a certain amount of 'pre-adjusting' the applicable parameters like environmental conditions, etc.

Overall... for just shooting the one I keep coming back to is BulletFlight.

YMMV,

Monte

Have BulletFlight 3 on my IPhone just downloaded from itunes i see how it's by rifle and is close to what i have recorder from my chronograph with the M118LR from my own reloads using 175 SMK and 168 SMK rounds

Mine is the L3 or 'M' version ($30). Probably massive over-kill for my uses - if I'm contemplating calculating actual BC I'd probably be inclined to do it on JBM. The spin drift /coriolis factors are nice, but so far un-necessary for most of what I do. Maybe I need to shoot further? ;)

We I decided to buy both of them. Went and shot my 6.5x47 yesterday at 600 yards. I factored in my velocity, bullet, sight conditions, weather conditions, angle, etc.. Ballistics called for 11.8 MOA and BulletFlight said 12.2. I dialed 12 MOA and was dead on with elevation.

We backed up to 1200 at dusk to try the 300 win mag. Target was real hard to see. It had just rained and was 88 degrees with 90% humidity with zero wind. I took three shots at 1200 and dialed 34 MOA. I missed the whole 4x6 board.... I need more practice and will try it again later. It was dark by the time we reached the target:D. I have to try the coriolis and spin drift calculation next time. Also hope to start at 700 or 800 and work my way back to 1200.

DoubleG

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts