Bullet Weight for .223Rem with 1:12 twist

trebark

This weekend I got a great deal on a .223Rem. The barrel is 26" and 1:12 twist. I've never owned a .223 so I'm hoping a member of the forum can tell me what weight bullet might work well with a 1:12 twist.

Thanks for your help.

i have a stevens in 223 rem,it has a 1/9 twist.i googled the 223 rem to see what for info i could find.i found a thread on another site that said 52 or 53 grain sierra matchking over 22 gr of imr or h 4198 should shoot very well.the posting handloader said this load shoots well in almost any twist rifle.ididnt have sierra bullets.my dad has some nosler 52 gr match bullets.he gave me a few to try.i used 22 gr imr 4198,and federal 205m primer.the bullets are too short to reach the rifling so i seated them so i had about .100 thou in case mouth.results were quite pleasing.3 shots at 100 yards measured around 5/16".that would be .3 to .4 moa.jasongun)

I cannot say for sure, so I will state my opinion expecting someone with more knowledge than myself to correct me if I am wrong, but I think you should be able to stabilize something a little longer than the 55s in a 12 twist. I shoot the 55s in my 14 twist with no problems....well no problems until past 700 yards. They often hit my 800 yard target sideways, but so do the 55s shot out of my buddies 12 twist. (I cant say for sure but I am pretty sure it is dependant on humidity, some days nothing but round holes) I found one of my 55 bergers that shot completely through an amadillo at 800 that wedged itself in a vine. The only deformation to the bullet was where the rifling engraved it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.