Bullet tumbling

sniperboy

Hi to all

Would like to know when tumbling your bullets with media is it best to leave the primers in or to take them out. Plus what media is best for cleaning bullets?

sniperboy

Sniperboy, hmmmm.

You tumble your brass. Now, you can tumble with or without removing your primers. The advantage of removing primers first is that the primer pocket with get cleaned somewhat then if you do not deprime. If you deprime your brass first and use a small media, you should probably still make sure you run them through a depriming again to make sure you do not have any tumbling media stuck in the flash hole.

Hi to all

Would like to know when tumbling your bullets with media is it best to leave the primers in or to take them out. Plus what media is best for cleaning bullets?

sniperboy

I hope you mean cases not loaded rounds.

Never tumble loaded rounds !!!!!

As far as empty brass it does not matter if you take the primer out or leave it in.

I like to take the spent primer out befor tumbling but some leave it in.

Also I like the Lyman (Green) media because it leaves less dust.

J E CUSTOM

I hope you mean cases not loaded rounds.

Never tumble loaded rounds !!!!!

As far as empty brass it does not matter if you take the primer out or leave it in.

I like to take the spent primer out befor tumbling but some leave it in.

Also I like the Lyman (Green) media because it leaves less dust.

J E CUSTOM

Sorry, i should of mentioned empty brass. Thanks for the replys, i always hear other shooters saying how they only tumble their empty brass with the primers in.
J E my friend uses the green Lyman media and he loves it but he has mentioned to me that the corn media does a better job, but as you mentioned leaves a bit of dust. Is this true?

sniperboy

I think you should leave the spent primer in . The reason i feel this way is because when you take the primer out, sometimes you get a small piece of media in the detination hole just buggs me.

just my .02

BB

"when tumbling your bullets with media is it best to leave the primers in or to take them out. "

As noted, bullets don't have primers and cases couldn't care less if they are primed or not. Tumbling isn't rocket surgery, you can do it any way you wish. It matters not how I prefer to do it, you need to experiment and find what floats your boat. lightbulb

"Plus what media is best for cleaning bullets?"

We normally use either cob or nut, there is no best or that would be all that's sold; who would choose to buy a bag of second best? Some guys agonise over it so much they just end up using a mixture of both, I suppose that's just to make sure they get it "right"! :rolleyes: ??

Both are used because both work. Try one and later the other, see which you prefer.

I usually prefer to wipe my brass down and resize/deprime before I tumble them. When removing them from the media, you need to check the flash holes and remove any media that might be stuck there, Lyman makes a handy little flash-hole-cleaner for this purpose.

When I used to tumble with primers in, I would resize the brass and some of the media would get stuck on the expander ball and invariably be transferred to the outside of the case and create a good dent in the shoulder.

As for media, I prefer the green Lyman media, but I also add Flitz polishing liquid for tumblers also.

I deprime with a hand decapper, chase the pockets with a tool & clean the necks with CarbonKiller on a greenie pad. Then run the brass in a vibratory cleaner for ~hour, with Lyman EZ-pour media + ~a teaspoon of mineral spirits.

I do it soon as possible on return from the range(while carbon is easy to remove), and before any die will touch it. When I pull each case out, I pour out the media while rapping on the case head with the handle of a small screwdriver(to dislodge any in the flash holes).

After sizing is completed, I might ultrasonically clean or not, but follow with a polishing in the same media with a teaspoon of brass polish('Rooster Bright' or frankford arsenal). Several hours of this..

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.