Bullet Stabilization Questions

dito that dbholster .last year in winter at an out door range shooting my 45-70 @200 meters i was shooting some home cast 405 grainers over 12grns unique aprox 1000 fts my buby was spoting for me he said "wait a minute shoot again . i can see the %£?%&* bullet hit the target" well that was it the hole line had to sit down and wittness the phenomenon it was a blast .bang half second delay grey streak hole in target i love shooting that load.
grin.gif

jaeger

I have got a question for you all .i have yet to join the 1k club the question is when putting together a load for 1k shooting at what distance do you say "thats it this load will be able to go out to 1000meters " or is there no distance and just has to be tested at 1k
jaeger

Theory turns into applied science after testing is complete. Some theories hold more water than others...
rolleyes.gif

canjaeger, most will get there, it's just a matter of with what quality. One easy path is to start at 200-300 yards then go longer...and longer...and longer. Tell us a bit about your gun and chambering, odds are somebody here has already tried it...
wink.gif

168...For the velocities a average 308 will drive a 168, its pretty hard to get them to go that far (1K). Try the 175 SMK, 155 Palma SMK, 155 Scenar, 190 SMK (for 11.25 twists or faster only), 155 AMAX, and the 178 AMAX. Those are all bullets that will make it that far in a 308.

The 175 SMK and 178 AMAX can be driven at 2450 FPS and still go staight at 1k. The 175 SMK and 178 can be saftly driven to about 2750 out of a 26" 12 twist 308.

The 155's can be driven up to around 3000 FPS (2900-2950 is average) and they have NO problem making it to 1200 and 1300 yards. Except the 155 AMAX. I would stop at 1000 with the 155 AMAX.

If you use the 168 at 1k you will only frustrate yourself. Depending on the conditions you are shooting them in, sometimes they will make it and sometimes they wont. That bullet was designed for 600 yard shooting. I can vouch for Sierra's claim that its not a 1k bullet.

Meichele thanks for the info.i will try the amax first probably in both weights as for i have a dealer very close .as for the 168's some times they will or sometimes they won't is not an good option

jaeger

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.