Bullet stability

when I suggested "tear dropping the rear" I was thinking of reducing the turbulence that develops at the base of a bullet no matter how small the rear flat area is. Please understand that I'm just carrying out pre-stated info and taking to the extreme. It does seem to me that the longer tail would help stabilize it going through the trans-sonic zone and help keep it more stable when it's sub-sonic although it would probably make it more susceptible to steering from cross winds. Again guessing.

Once again not Bryan Litz here...
Topshot, short answer- in Your .338cal, try the lapua 250gr lockbase.
Long answer- projectiles with relatively short length and shallow angle boat tails or no boat tail at all have better stability throughout their flight, particularly transonic. Finer meplat dia helps also as does a better transverse to axial inertia ratio.

However Bryan Litz actual, agrees with Groper
I agree with Gropers assessment of what geometric and mass properties are good for a bullet's transonic stability.

A recent example of such a bullet is the Berger 175 Tactical OTM which I designed specifically for transonic stability:
308Tactical

Increasing twist rate can help a little, but the biggest outside influence is atmospherics. Many bullets that are not transonic stable at sea level are so at 3000+ feet elevation.

-Bryan

Of course that's from 12 years ago, with the state of science these days, basic physics could have changed and I didn't get the memo... 🤣

You have to be careful with bullet base adjustments because what helps stability from there can hurt BC.
A flat base bullet for example is usually super stable, at the expense of BC.
Whereas a VLD approaches limit of balance.
If you were to change it's base angle either direction, you would gain one thing at the expense of the other.

No Budlight? 🤣
🤣🤣🤣🤣

You didnt hear my story? I had my first and only Bud November 2nd, 1980, in Colorado. The only AB InMev products I will miss are Becks Dark. Shiner brewed about 70 miles from me, and do not pretend to be something they are not.
Those who enjoy BL, can keep enjoying it, I'll stick to my Texas beer.
Great to have choices!

🤣 🤣🤣