Bullet shot high when resting on hood of car...

drenge

So I went out and shot rocks on a side hill at 786 yards. I rested my harris bipod on the roof of the truck (it was the only vantage point because of tall brush on road) and dialed according to my dell handheld.

My shot was over a foot high - 3 times. So I dialed down and hit the rock 3 times.

There is no way my 168 gr bergers out of my 7mm RM are even close to 3100 fps - as was suggested by trajectory validation in the nightforce software (they are more like 2975 fps). And I was .5 moa at 100 yards. Could it have been the fact that I was resting my bipod on the hood of my truck?? Would that make your muzzle jump or throw your bullets high because of the "bouncy" surface?

Does anyone have experience with this???

...Could it have been the fact that I was resting my bipod on the hood of my truck?? Would that make your muzzle jump or throw your bullets high because of the "bouncy" surface?

Does anyone have experience with this???

Absolutely! the lighter the rifle, the more vertical a 'bouncy' / solid surface can give you. Try putting a heavy coat, couple thicknesses of carpet or something similar under your bipods next time.

AJ

I have found that when sighting in off a rest, then shooting off a bipod, that yes sometimes the rifle has a different POI. I experienced this last week with my 338 EDGE shooting a rock at 830 yards. With just the bipod and using no rear bag, I was hitting the rock just fine. My dad was up next to shoot but he wanted to use the rear bag, well he was hitting about a 1' high everytime. I thought it was just him, but then I shot with the rear bag as well and my bullets were landing a foot high as well.

Were you shooting at any kind of an uphill/downhill angle?? That has quite a bit to do with it when your shooting past 500-600 yards.

Thanks for the quick replies... I was shooting at a slight agle but I had already compensated for that with my ACI. Next time I'll be sure to put something under the bipod so it doesn't bounce so much.

I'm also assuming I should get my POI using a bipod like I'll be doing in the field. Interesting it can have so much of an effect at distance...

Drenge,

AJ is spot on.

I'd consider making a couple of small, or one long sand bag to go under the bipod legs. The weight of the bag isn't a problem as you will be at your truck when shooting.

Good luck and have fun.....

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.