bullet selection and function

airstream

I have decided that the .260 will do it's part, if i do mine. With that said i am in the process of gathering my bullets,powder and brass, while i deal with the task of waiting on the Cooper i ordered and booking an elk hunt. I have 139gr Lapua sinars jacketed hollow points to play with first. I had to settle for REM brass. Not sure about the powder yet? I will be working some loads up for my friends 260 while saving 6 of each test load to try later in my rifle.

1. WHAT POWDER
2. WHAT BULLET
3. WHAT THE HELL IS A ACCUBOND FROM NOSLER

I am looking at the fallowing

LAPUA sinars 139gr jacketed hollow point. Is this more than a target/accuracy bullet?

BARNES TSX 130gr flatbase hollow point , worried about the wind grag on a non-boattail
They are claiming 99% wieght retention ( i find that hard to believe in a hallow point but great if they do)

BERGER LVD 140gr boat tail hollow point

What are the ranges you plan to work with?

This will weigh heavily on bullet selection.

If you're not planning to shoot past 300/400 yards, any of the bullets will work fine assuming good shot placement.

If you'll be looking for long range shots, the VLD is your best option. The other designs loose too much velocity/energy due to having lower BC's. Furthermore, on impact, the more frangible VLD will produce reliable expansion/fragmentation down to impact velocities of 1800 fps. The weight retaining/penetrating deigns (accubond and TSX) won't open up near as much on LR shots.

-Bryan

I would stay away from the Lapua bullets, I've read they don't like to expand on game. IMO shoot the Berger and A-max and see which your rifle likes the best. I use the 162 A-max with my 7SAUM and they are devastating on deer and antelope.

if the 140 amax shoots in your rifle i think you will love it!

try it over a stout charge of vitavori N560 I use 46 grains but start below and work up (i use lapua cases)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.